Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen this recipe on a show(cant remember which one) the other day so I decided to give it a try tonight. I give it two thumbs up.:D

All I did was wrap the smelt in bacon and used a toothpick to hold it on there. Sprinkled a little pepper on them and just grilled them for about 3 min per side. Taste was awsome and was very easy and fast to make.

Anyone else ever try this?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I saw that one too on MOOD a few weeks ago. I think on the show it was just a squirt of lemon juice on the fish, wrap up two or three of 'em at a time in a strip of bacon and grill them just as you say. Been wanting to try that myself. Glad it was good.

Al

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wrapped just one smelt in a half slice of bacon. PERFECT bit sized morsals.:D

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'll second Rat City Hooker's shrimp suggestion.

Bacon and seafood really work well together. I've done a bacon wrapped kabob a few times and its worked out really well.

2 medium red onions quartered
1 red bell pepper cut into 1 1/2' squares
2 large portobella mushroom caps cut same as peppers
6oz ahi tuna fillet (salmon is a good substitute) in 1' cubes
4 large scallops
4-6 good sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
Enough strips of bacon to wrap each piece of seafood
zesty Italian salad dressing
2 kabob skewers

Marinate the first three items in the salad dressing for six hours or so. Soak the skewers in water for the same amount of time (optional, I skip this one all the time and as long as the skewer is only exposed on the very ends after putting on the meat and veggies you won't have a problem).

Then skewer the vegetables and seafood "intermittantly", in other words, skewer a piece of onion, then fish, then mushroom then scallop.....etc.

When you go to put on a piece of seafood, wrap it with a strip of bacon, then skewer it through the middle of the bacon.

Broil or BBQ until the scallops are done, they are usually the last part to cook all the way through.

Serve on a bed of rice pilaf with a side of steamed and buttered vegetables and you have one heck of a meal!

The bacon wrapped smelt sounds really good. That would make for an excellent appetizer. If I get ahold of any, I'll give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts