Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, is it like a run or something up there? or is it good any time theres ice? and isnt higgins the better lake to go for em on? do ya need a machine to get out deep? or can ya hoof it. im not in the best of shape w/ arthritis in my knees real bad, but iv been known to go a mile out on lsc. just looking for some general info... also if any one knows, is there white fish to be had on thesame lake? and if so, what to use? im thinking a weekend trip this year... but who knows if ill have time. heck if any one who has experience wants to join two middle 20's guys your more than welcome.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've only fished smelt once, but I don't think they fish them on Houghton, just Higgins. I think they start as soon as they can get out, and its gets better the closer you get to last ice. They fish them all over, but a popular spot is off the west launch, to the south less than 1/2 mile. It does move a little year to year. Lots of people walk out.
I've never fished white fish, but I hear they like 90 ft & deeper, and are down by bottom

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm not a pro by any means, but we always catch them at night at the dropoff. I don't know when it's best, but we usually do well in Februar.... I think you can catch them anytime there's ice. I've caught whitefish at the drop also, but during the day. It's neat to watch the school of fish swim underneath you, and hooking one!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Both these guys are exactly right.Seems to be better late in the year.Some spots are very close to shore,some not.There is a spot off of that West bay launch that is only about 150yds out and you are in about 90fow.And when they are biting there is a huge shanty town.You may also get some perch or lakers.
Neil,if you remind me I will let you know when I here they are on,but if you are planning I would wait until later part of season.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The smelt fishing on Houghton is really really slow, can't think of the last time I caught one there. Its much better on Higgins. ;)

You can catch smelt anywhere on Higgins from 10 to 100 FOW. It does seem to be better in March.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
my experience, though not of a grand amount, is that later ice is better on higgins. i would like to try some other lakes (green or crystal for example, as a buddy has a cabin in the area) for smelt and lakers (and burbot if possible).

i'd not above asking for help, so if anyone here knows the ins and outs of that lake (like is a quad/sled needed to get to the good fishing areas), and is willing to show a lay-man the ropes, let me know.

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
hey guys, is it like a run or something up there? or is it good any time theres ice? and isnt higgins the better lake to go for em on? do ya need a machine to get out deep? or can ya hoof it. im not in the best of shape w/ arthritis in my knees real bad, but iv been known to go a mile out on lsc. just looking for some general info... also if any one knows, is there white fish to be had on thesame lake? and if so, what to use? im thinking a weekend trip this year... but who knows if ill have time. heck if any one who has experience wants to join two middle 20's guys your more than welcome.
while generally later is better, You can catch them somewhere on the lake just about anytime, Whitefish also sometimes in the same spot but usually you would find whitefish an trout in the same area. As far as Houghton It is a vastly different situation, with different species to fish for. I recommend that you call or VISIT bill at Higgins lake sport shop for info and supplies. When you decide to give it a try send me a PM and I will try to give you an idea from what I have seen and heard.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
my experience, though not of a grand amount, is that later ice is better on higgins. i would like to try some other lakes (green or crystal for example, as a buddy has a cabin in the area) for smelt and lakers (and burbot if possible).

i'd not above asking for help, so if anyone here knows the ins and outs of that lake (like is a quad/sled needed to get to the good fishing areas), and is willing to show a lay-man the ropes, let me know.

Whit sponsored a kind of MS smelt outing last year on Crystal, supposed to be another in a month or so.......lots of fun.
JJ Mac also fishes that lake a lot and can fill you in..

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The later in the year the better for smelt. Went out March 1st last year with 100 in just a few hours with 4 guys. Smelt fishing on higgins is something I look forward to every year. Its a blast!

·
Registered
350 Posts
When the shoreline starts to melt in March is the best time. Its around the 3rd weekend or so. Check out my profile pics and you will see almost 1000 smelt caught in the daytime. One pic is looking down the hole at the school of smelt.:fish:
John

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
When the shoreline starts to melt in March is the best time. Its around the 3rd weekend or so. Check out my profile pics and you will see almost 1000 smelt caught in the daytime. One pic is looking down the hole at the school of smelt.:fish:
John
Thats a pretty neat picture. How dwwp of water were you in?

·
Registered
350 Posts
In March the smelt seem to be getting ready to spawn. Never needed to fish deeper than about 15-20 fow. I get in a dark shanty and sight fish. Rough on the back but what a blast. A short noddle rod will help. If you don't see hundreds of fish, MOVE. Say on the outside edge of the other fishermen, the fish spook easy with foot traffic but come back soon. One more little thing. 1lb test is the best. It out fishes 3lb many many times over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts