Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how is it going? I was starting to wonder when we are going to do our 2nd annual smelt dipping/cookout/all around good time in Port Huron?

It was such a good time last year it is kinda like the kick off to spring, and lord knows we are ready for spring, maybe not IFN but I am..:) Well lets start planning now and we willhave one heck of a group out there..

Cya Slick fishin

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys we need to come up with a date for our little outing? What date did it happen last year anyone remember? Cya Slick

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey guys we need to come up with a date for our little outing? What date did it happen last year anyone remember? Cya Slick

WOULD LIKE TO PARTIPATE. SOUNDS LIKE FUN. LET ME KNOW WHEN AND WHERE AND WHAT TO BRING. I LIVE WEST OF P.H.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'll look up the date when I get a chance and try to set a date. I do think it would be better with less people down by the bridge. . The bridge also offers a wind block. It was a great time. like a M&G where there was lots of time to eat/drink/BS then check the nets. We'll also get into the methods. Starting to smell like smelt season. But WAY to early. photo is from our last outing

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Smelt from another spot a few days later. I'll pm who is going and attempt to explain why?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What kind of net do I bring? I have a hand dipping net with a long handle. Any special food to bring?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The long handle dip net works and is fun. The smelt will be swimming towards Lk, Huron. use a flashlight wlaking up river. when you see a school of smelt devert the light quickly and dip where they should be. If you shine them head first they will dive. you dip walking down river with a net. I have 2 large smelt nets I tie to the side of the wall . one on top and one just under. the dumb little smelt just swim into them and stay until you check it every 15 min or so. Great time .

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,138 Posts
I'm interested.

:cool:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Our last outing was April 12th. So this year We should make it April 10th. 17 th. or 24th. all Sat.'s . as Far as the location my vote is down by the bridge. There are the bridge supports to get behind for cooking and getting out of the wind, and I think the smelt swimming towards Huron hit that fasy current and are forced to the side and towards the top. Just my jmo ,open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Ed,
Wherever there is parking, and a place to pull out the grill is fine by me!!!! There arent any cops around down that way are there???? I dont get along with them too well!!!!!;) :D

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yes those darn Cops . They'll probably pin a case on ya. If not you can break into my case:D ..
Lots of parking there. normally I'ts not to packed with people. I'll get there a few hrs. before dark . I set out me 2 nets spaced. and bring them in when people arrive. Pluss I put 3 or 4 rods out to save spaces. No law against one person with 4 rods. as long as I only have large sinkers on them ;) I'll pull those up as space is needed. I think it will work out good.

I think Al D. Should be thinking of starting that Chillie! Bar none best I have had ! Strugeon wasn't bad . I would hate if that showed up again;) .. I'll bring some Venison Jerky to work the jaws!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hate when they pin those cases on me!!!!!;)

I'll try to scrounge up some more venison steaks...... I think that it was Jumbo that made the killer chili, so get to work Jumbo!!!!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
If anyone want's good eats and time to shoot the shet This is a great outing . It is kinda a late one. I can bring a few deer stakes ! good stuff just put a little all- season on them flip them on the grill , wrap them in a paper towel, to hold and yummm. IFN you did a great job cooking the walleye wrapped in bacon last year. I'm still trying to get it right.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would love to go to this outing. I work third shift so nightime is excellant. Only thing is I never gone after smelt before. What do I need to have to get them? I think it would be a blast.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts