Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried for smallmouth in th Huron near Dextor? The DNR has special regulations for catch and release on that stretch of the river. I was just wondering if it was worth trying out.
Thanks,
Michael

------------------
Michael T

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
In Tom Huggler's _Fish Michigan_ series of books he seems to rate the Dexter-Ann Arbor stretch as very good fishing in general, specifically good smallie fishing. I have noticed several signs posting no fishing and no boat launching at bridges near Huron River Drive and downstream, closer to Ann Arbor. Maybe Alex Trotman and other millionaires don't like to see commoners enjoying themselves.

At any rate I plan to sample the fishing in July between Dex-AA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I lived on that side of the state, I fished that river alot and had good success for smallies and an occassional walleye. Bait of choice crawfish on an ultralight setup. Buddy of mine pulled a 22 inch smallie out of there last summer.Wade the river.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
How's the smallie action on the Huron near Dexter? Any reports?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have fished the Huron closer to Dexter than to Ann Arbor.
I usually fish the fast moving water.
Lures that have worked for me, are: Rattlin Rapalas 2" in the crawfish color.
Also the smallest floating Rapalas we could find. Perch, orange work well.
You need a high speed reel, and you need to keep your rod tip high. Many rocks, and they love to grab onto your lures.
You are correct in mentioning that this is a catch and realease section of the river.
For access, try the two Metro Parks, (Dexter-Huron, and Delhi.) You need a metro park sticker, but, you can just walk right into the river from there.
Also, I've never tried this, but, there are a bunch of little pull offs, along Huron River Drive, where people, park, and walk into the river. I don't know if you'd be tresspassing though.
Good Luck, hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts