Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the smallmouth fishing in the Detroit river any good right now? Also should I target specific areas or are there fish everywhere? I was thinking of fishing north part of river down to steel mills south of ambassador but will go down river if needed. Will be on U.S. Side only. Thanks. Jon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Compared to the past two years, it has been a tough year so far on smallies. I have struggled myself the past 2 weeks with them. Caught 3 little ones yesterday. Normally all you'd have to do is find 12-16ft of water and big rock piles, they would always be there. I think they still are there but just not striking like normal. Tubes or anything that looks like a crawfish/goby typically produces. Dark colors, green, brown and the occasional light blue was my go to. This year I just don't know though, I think things are behind this year. The only way to know though is to get out and try! Hope that helps, best of luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compared to the past two years, it has been a tough year so far on smallies. I have struggled myself the past 2 weeks with them. Caught 3 little ones yesterday. Normally all you'd have to do is find 12-16ft of water and big rock piles, they would always be there. I think they still are there but just not striking like normal. Tubes or anything that looks like a crawfish/goby typically produces. Dark colors, green, brown and the occasional light blue was my go to. This year I just don't know though, I think things are behind this year. The only way to know though is to get out and try! Hope that helps, best of luck.
Definetly helps. I was starting to think I was the only one struggling with smallies this year. This is the first year I have had a boat and I had high hopes. Hopefully things will pickup for everyone.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I was going to be a smart*ss and say if you want to catch smallies, try perch fishing. But then I realized I haven't caught that many bass while perch fishing this year perch myself.

·
Super Moderator
37,284 Posts
Definetly helps. I was starting to think I was the only one struggling with smallies this year. This is the first year I have had a boat and I had high hopes. Hopefully things will pickup for everyone.
Don't worry I've had a boat since 2012 and still suck at targeting smallies lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't worry come late September into October it's super easy to catch them & they will be much shallower. A baby can catch a 4lb'er during that time. They will be turning on here soon slowly, probably within the two weeks. You still want to focus on that 12-16ft water column and rocks. No rocks, minimal smallies. I've had great years in the past so the river is healthy. But that September time period I mentioned above is go time. Tubes, tubes and tubes catch giants. One of my favorite times of the year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't worry come late September into October it's super easy to catch them & they will be much shallower. A baby can catch a 4lb'er during that time. They will be turning on here soon slowly, probably within the two weeks. You still want to focus on that 12-16ft water column and rocks. No rocks, minimal smallies. I've had great years in the past so the river is healthy. But that September time period I mentioned above is go time. Tubes, tubes and tubes catch giants. One of my favorite times of the year.
Thanks I am waitin
I'm going to be patiently waiting. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to keep at it and hopefully the fishing turns on soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was on vacation this week and got some everyday I went. Not fast and furious by any means. Yesterday they all came early. Once the sun got up high I couldn't buy a bite. Got some nice fish yesterday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts