Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We cleared an area (approx. 1.5 acres) that had been in the early years of succession about one year ago. Most of the area now is weeds (goldenrod) with some small 1" - 2" stumps scattered throughout it. Has anyone planted an area like this with only cutting the stumps off at ground level (go around them with disk) or should we spend the money and have a backhoe / small dozer come in and push everything off? We were worried that by doing this we would lose some topsoil. We plan to spray the area with Roundup within the next few weeks. Remember as I stated in another post this week, we are rookies at this. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
I've had the same problem but found out it was solved by picking up a used 3 pt box blade for my tractor. I would shorten the top link and drop the scarifiers (hooks) put it in low range and root rake the small stumps and roots. What the box blade missed the 2 bottom plow would bring to the surface.

I cut one of my 1+ acre plots right out of a tag, willow, bam and popple area. I used this method to tear out all the roots and stumps. Here's a link to a pic in my gallery.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/p...p?photo=11546&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

·
Registered
817 Posts
Luv2, I'm very impressed, those are very nice looking food plots. I hope to do just come close to that type of perfection. Can't wait for the snow and melt and ground to warm up. Have a great day. Lew

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
Thanks Lew

I'm also looking forward to starting to do some more work at camp. By the looks of things we'll lose the last of our snow at the end of May again this year. :(

It makes for a very short growing season.

Before the dirt work starts I got to:

Cut, split and stack next years firewood.

Clear a 1/2 mile trail that got buried by the 11/13/03 wind/snow storm we got. It remained impassable last hunting season.

Clear the rest of my trails (1 1/2 miles) that I opened up with a chain saw to make passable with an atv. My tractor can't fit down them now.

Rebuild a log crib for this years bear season, I've got a good chance of drawing a tag.

Spend a day or so scouting the property before the deer return from the yards.

There still is 30"+ of snow on the flat, 5' drifts and 8' snow banks so all I can do is plan for this years activities. Hopefully I can drive down the county road in 5-6 weeks to get into camp and leave the snowshoes at home.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Luv2, I am over in Iron county and we don't have it that bad this year, but the winter is not over yet either. I plan to go up the first week of May and usually things are in green up by then. However, some years there is still three ft of snow and some years lots of water and mud, so you never know. Hopeing this is a normal year and I can get started on schedule. I have a plan worked out to get the lime on and bought an ATV to work up the dirt, spray and spread fertilizer. A couple of weeks ago I bougth some seed from Ed Spin and also picked up seed from Biologic. In addition, Remington has an experimental blend they gave me to try in our northern climate. Obviously they are thinking of going into the seed business. It is amazing how popular this has become. Next week I plan to go the the Deer Spectacular and some of the seed vendors will be there and I want to talk to them and learn as much as I can. I is going to be a fun year and can't wait to see the results. Lew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts