Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I have been debating eating smallies, are they any good?

I figured this is the best palce to ask it would be noce to have another fish to eat.

Are they in season right now?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The season for keeping smallies is the 3rd sat in June. I have never eaten them but others have said they are ok. Alot of people may frown on the idea of eating bass. LSC has so many right now it wouldnt kill the population to keep a couple once in a while. I catch them for the great fight they give you.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Are not good to eat;) :D :rolleyes: :evilsmile.
Not in season to keep in LSC, third Sat. in June opens for catch and keep, Catch and release is open now..

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Keep the ones just legal or larger. they are actually good. I like a non fishey fish so I like Walleye and perch more. By no means is it as bad as salmon. My buddy likes SM bass more or as much as walleye? Give it a try. the colder the water the better. PS stay away from the large mouth.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ed Michrina said:
Keep the ones just legal or larger. they are actually good. I like a non fishey fish so I like Walleye and perch more. By no means is it as bad as salmon. My buddy likes SM bass more or as much as walleye? Give it a try. the colder the water the better. PS stay away from the large mouth.
----------------ed, salmon aren't bad at all, sometimes i blacken them ( with blackening seasoning) on a cast iron pot that i have in butter very high heat and they don't even smell fishy actually pretty good ------------- i should have that fish pickle recipe for you tommorow it's also very good for pike and muskie you can actually eat the bones

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
wcalcaterra said:
IMO if you catch a bass 14-16", large- or smallmouth, they taste just like bluegill when fried up. Just give them a good fillet and skinning.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
wcalcaterra said:

I figured this is the best palce to ask it would be noce to have another fish to eat.

Are they in season right now?
yes, they're like swordfish, real firm...the colder the water the better...river fish in other words.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
We dont make it a habit of keeping then like wallys and such.But they are very good eating.Very lite white meat.Not as lite as wallys but close.Great fish to eat .Try them out.Folks that say no just dont want you keeping them and eating them.Fact is they are very good eating,Mich

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Bass take out of cold water taste fine if you skin them. they are not going to taste like perch or walleye .ore like gills. Ed salmon are great on th grill. IMHO

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
bocephus said:
Try eating rock bass, they are much better.
I have heard that from several sources...surprizing!!! I just may have to give one a try.

More to the point, I love salmon, steelhead, walleye, perch, etc. but not LG. & SM. Mouth Bass, the meat is not very firm in season. JMO

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Smallmouth are just fine, when I was a kid we used to go out and get a mess of gills bunch of smallies, few perch then stay up late and catch a bunch of cats. Next day we would fry up the whole lot, good eats........however they were all cold clear water up north lake. Never tried them around here, too many walleye and perch to fry!!!!:D

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Some people like them, and a lot more don't. Why not find out for yourself which group you're in. When they're in season, keep one and try it.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Michigander1 said:
Folks that say no just dont want you keeping them and eating them.Fact is they are very good eating,Mich

I could care less if he catches and keeps/eats them.

There is a reason why you don't see them on the menu at any restaurants, or for sale at seafood stores!

Other than satisfying curiousity I can't imagine why anyone would catch and eat LSC Bass when perch, walleye, and panfish are in such abundance.

Good luck be sure to use a lot of batter, and wash it down with copious amounts of beer. Blatz will kill the taste most effectively!!!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
NEMichsportsman said:
There is a reason why you don't see them on the menu at any restaurants, or for sale at seafood stores!

Good luck be sure to use a lot of batter, and wash it down with copious amounts of beer. Blatz will kill the taste most effectively!!!
The reason you do not see them in restaurants or seafood stores is that they are number one, not popular as table fare. 2. The other 'table fare' fish are more commonly caught in huge schools (which means there are tons) and in big waters (which means easier to operate a commercial outfit profitably).

Hey, I can't argue with the beer, sounds like a good excuse to have a few anyways.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
No see a LG filet is part of a fish I WILL eat. I dont care for gills much, probably because I like the filets. My hubby also won't fry them in anything but a cast iron pan tho either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts