Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By no means I am starting a debate or questioning fish kept but seeing lots of box pictures with small shakers included. My experience is most of the time they can be released successfully and are a lot more fun to catch as a twenty pounder. Just something to think about

· Premium Member
7,603 Posts
Too good of table fare to release lol
Agreed 100% a fresh small king on grill is pretty dang good. Either way if your keeping a big one or small one they are never gonna spawn if kept. This is also Lake Michigan and a small shaker king might be only table fare you get if you head out unless you want lakers to eat.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I kind of agree with op...ive never got a king and would love to get one...no chance for people like me if they all get kept as juveniles out on the big lake...

With that said I understand it can be hard to release a delicious salmon...i used to get kokanee through the ice out west and would keep every dang one I caught...never was more than one or two here or there though...

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Killem N grillem
Please release wild trout
When we get a Rosetta spoony season?
Wild brookies should be kept in some fisheries imo to avoid overpopulation/stunting

Reactions: Fishfighter

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I kind of agree with op...ive never got a king and would love to get one...no chance for people like me if they all get kept as juveniles out on the big lake...

With that said I understand it can be hard to release a delicious salmon...i used to get kokanee through the ice out west and would keep every dang one I caught...never was more than one or two here or there though...
Mr. Fishing Bear,
Salmon are available to the shore bound via lake flips fishing from a pier. I personally enjoy those small Lake Michigan coho that show up near the river mouths near the Indiana border.
Life doesn’t offer everyone the same opportunities all through life. As I recently explained to a 28 year old man, bemoaning what he perceived as a lack of respect based upon his age. He asked what possible advantage a man in his twenties has versus a man in his fifties. I without hesitation replied how about dating women in their twenties.
There are a lot of fishing opportunities that aren’t best accessed via a big water boat. However they do have better salmon fishing on a daily basis. I have several friends that have done well fishing the flips near the pier heads. With a bit of effort July salmon are a possibility for the shore bound.

· Registered
357 Posts
Mr. Fishing Bear,
Salmon are available to the shore bound via lake flips fishing from a pier. I personally enjoy those small Lake Michigan coho that show up near the river mouths near the Indiana border.
Life doesn’t offer everyone the same opportunities all through life. As I recently explained to a 28 year old man, bemoaning what he perceived as a lack of respect based upon his age. He asked what possible advantage a man in his twenties has versus a man in his fifties. I without hesitation replied how about dating women in their twenties.
There are a lot of fishing opportunities that aren’t best accessed via a big water boat. However they do have better salmon fishing on a daily basis. I have several friends that have done well fishing the flips near the pier heads. With a bit of effort July salmon are a possibility for the shore bound.
Here' a few pics to prove it! These are from last week (Wednesday 14th) and this Wednesday 21st.
Shoe White Black Road surface Sidewalk
Water Liquid Fluid Wood Quill
Hair Face Water Smile Sky
Water Sky Sunglasses Smile Outdoor recreation

Those little kings give a surprisingly good fight with #10 line. They also are high on the list with my wife and kids for eats. We also thoroughly enjoy the larger salmon that I pressure can.
As posted earlier by Tom, I feel the fishing remains the same if they are taken now, in October, or next year or a couple of years later. Two of the 5 in the top picture had started to develop sperm, indicating they would have probably matured and run the river this fall. Had I released a few of those smaller kings that day and caught larger kings, then those larger ones would have not made it to the river. Instead I happily took dinner home.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Where when and on what...no info on here lol.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I dont know the piers. Im not from mi originally. Nobody here will share any real info with me and i cant srive 6 hr round trip every weekend to figure out such a transient event. not blaming them I can get 19 inch browns 15 min from my work and few know where...i surely dont tell many...you mention age...By the time im 40-50 and might own a boat like that for the big lake the salmon are going to be gone. So a bit of a difference. I just ask a bit of c&r to keep a dying fishery going!!

· Banned
2,216 Posts
I dont know the piers. Im not from mi originally. Nobody here will share any real info with me and i cant srive 6 hr round trip every weekend to figure out such a transient event. not blaming them I can get 19 inch browns 15 min from my work and few know where...i surely dont tell many...you mention age...By the time im 40-50 and might own a boat like that for the big lake the salmon are going to be gone. So a bit of a difference. I just ask a bit of c&r to keep a dying fishery going!!
I call b.s on the no info on here... Take a look at 2021 Frankfort thread on the pier section..or the same on the big lakes section... There is YEARS of info,tip,tricks baits,colors,sizes,when's and where.. every bit of that info can be used on any pier in Michigan.. hell,we even have a sticky on "pier basics".. if you have a question about pier fishing that we have not covered,ask.. btw,Michigan salmon fishery is a put n take system.. it's not ment to be a self sustaining system . It doesn't matter if a boat guy keeps a Shaker,or a pier rat does or even a river guy.. if it's legal size and they want it,it's their business and choice (that's what's it's intended to be)..

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I dig it. Most of the info is pretty stale n old tho...it aint 03, 08 or even 14...put me on 1 king this run in the rivers and i will eat my words with the pic of it...otherwise...im right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.