Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we need a section here on small game. or is there not much interest in this?
i love squirrel hunting , and i know theres lots of rabbit hunters in michigan.
has squirrel hunting become less popular in this state? i usually only see a few people out when i go. many days i have the woods to myself. does everyone know what great hunting they are all the way up till march?
you don't even need a dog like for bunnies. though i am in the process of getting a squirrel dog. mostly because i can never get anyone to go with me, and a little company would be nice.
i used to hunt with a dog years ago and theres nothing like seeing them tree a squirrel.
well let me know what you think.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep thats the trick,,,, dress up like a deer hunter,,, fools em every time.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
My son and I will be thinin' out the tree rat population in our deer woods right after ML season. My son Rabbit hunts all the time after school. He gets off the bus at my mom and dads house and chases then around their 10 acres untill I pick him up after work. I love eating rabbit. Seems like I have too many other spieces I like to chase more.
January I'll be shooting geese during the late season.

·
Registered
316 Posts
John, I also hunt the squirrels, use a 32 cal. muzzle loader and go for head shots. A few go in the freezer but alot get to be a target another day. Good tasteing critters. Am also thilnking of a dog for hunting, leaning toward a rat terrier.

Gibby:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
love to eat squirrel, almost as much as shooting them. just retired my 40 year old .22 bolt action and picked up a .17hmr. head shots only. great gun. i've been researching a treeing fiest for squirrels but have finaly settle on a rat terrier myself. found a good breeder and will be looking at them soon. last squirrel dog i had was when i was a kid.a chihuahua, self trained and on a mission to rid the world of the buck toothed hoard of the forest.
WDGibby said:
John, I also hunt the squirrels, use a 32 cal. muzzle loader and go for head shots. A few go in the freezer but alot get to be a target another day. Good tasteing critters. Am also thilnking of a dog for hunting, leaning toward a rat terrier.

Gibby:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Now ya did it. I was all right waiting for deer season to close, I have a small Fiest for squirrels an he's getting fat waiting to go. Squirrel huntin is all I do, Been hearing of all the squirrels around from the deer hunters coming back to work, so I have to do my part population control, I hunt Pines Point an Rothbury, sometimes we go to Allegan. Your right about not many hunters we go all day an not see another hunter. This year I've been using a air rifle 1000 fps nice clean kills an not much blood like with a 22. Just one more weekend.

·
Registered
674 Posts
A friend at work told me that he has never seen so many squirrels in the Manistee area as he has while deer hunting this year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've hunted southwest of there in the national forest an he's right, we got several in the early season, might just try that out again.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey John, I see you visit sqdog.com alot. I hunt with a Mt. Cur and never hunt squirrel hunt with out my dog. That's the only way I enjoy it now.
Don't go telling everyone how much fun it is to squirrel hunt. ;) Just kidding.
Your rite about there not being many squirrel hunters. I very seldomly see another squirrel hunter in the woods and I hunt heavily hunted public land. And I've never ran across someone with a dog. It seems to be gaining some popularity here but it seems between the bird dogs, Beagles, and coon hounds it seems squirrel dogs are not taken too seriously. Some people will never know what their missing.

Ed

·
Registered
278 Posts
First off, I'll add my support for a small game hunting forum. Though, what usually seems to happen around here is that people post their small game hunting stories and questions close to the opener on Sept. 15, and then things don't really pick up again until after quite a few of the other seasons close.

I usually head out with one of my shotguns, loaded with either #6 or #7 1/2 shot for squirrel hunting. #6 for when I'm exclusively going after squirrel, or possibly rabbits, and #7 1/2 when I'm hunting grouse and scare up a squirrel. Since I don't currently have a dog, my hunt can be flexible this way.

My brother and I were out bright and early on the 15th to hunt squirrels and grouse in one of our favorite spots. We saw quite a few squirrels and even took a couple. However, we were surprised to only here a couple of other shots off in the distance from other hunters. What was even more surprising was when the weekend came and still the woods were devoid of hunters.

Lately, we've really gotten more into upland bird hunting than squirrel hunting. We'll probably concentrate on pheasants during the late season and pick up again with squirrels and rabbits after January 1st.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yeah john, small game forum would be o.k. i like to hunt rabbit quite a lot and just recently started squirrel hunting. i have a shotgun and .22, but am cosidering the .17hmr. i've sort of looked (but not too hard). do you consider this to be a better rifle? CAN OF WORMS? Is one brand better than another? or should i just stick with what i know?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok as to the better of the two? who knows? at close range the .22 is probably better in that you will get less meat damage. this time of year you can shoot out quite a ways. i took two at close to a hundred yards yesterday, thats where the .17hmr excells. the .22 drops 51/2 inches or so at 100 yards, the .17 only drops 3/4 inchor so. if you point it at the head and are sited in about 50 yards you will hit it in the head at nearly any range.and you better shoot the head, that bullet is traveling around 2500 fps, more then twice the speed of a .22 long rifle.
i got a single shot breakdown from new england arms with a weaver scope mount for $165.
MOMS said:
yeah john, small game forum would be o.k. i like to hunt rabbit quite a lot and just recently started squirrel hunting. i have a shotgun and .22, but am cosidering the .17hmr. i've sort of looked (but not too hard). do you consider this to be a better rifle? CAN OF WORMS? Is one brand better than another? or should i just stick with what i know?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am big on squirrel hunting , but also hunt woodchuck. thats a season that goes year round and is a lot of fun. basicly this is why i prefer small game. you can hunt something worth hunting all year round.

·
Registered
164 Posts
eino said:
Hey John, I see you visit sqdog.com alot. I hunt with a Mt. Cur and never hunt squirrel hunt with out my dog. That's the only way I enjoy it now.
Don't go telling everyone how much fun it is to squirrel hunt. ;) Just kidding.
Your rite about there not being many squirrel hunters. I very seldomly see another squirrel hunter in the woods and I hunt heavily hunted public land. And I've never ran across someone with a dog. It seems to be gaining some popularity here but it seems between the bird dogs, Beagles, and coon hounds it seems squirrel dogs are not taken too seriously. Some people will never know what their missing.

Ed
I hear ya Ed. When people see me out with my cur and ask what I am hunting they usually have not heard of hunting squirrels with a dog. It is some of the best times I have ever had in the woods. Something about watching your dog put it all together sure is special. Sure wish the deer season would get over. Come January we will have the woods to ourselfs and don't have to worry about someone shooting the dog.

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
I'd put forward the idea that the popularity of squirrel hunting declined as the popularity of bowhunting for deer grew.

At least I'd say that is the probable cause in my part of SC Michigan. If you bowhunt a particular area you don't want to scent it up or spook the deer by going in during the late morning or early afternoon to shoot a few squirrels.

I used to thoroughly enjoy squirrel hunting with my .22, but as my passion for bowhunting increased I just plain ran out of time to do both.

For the last couple of years though, when the deer season ends on January 2nd I've been going out in the snow and bagging a few fox-squirrels. The extended season is a great development.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i suppose thats part of it, but a big part is that deer hunting seems to have been placed above all other hunting as far as importance. a squirrel hunter shouldn't feel pushed out of the woods just because its deer season. i do try to hunt areas where there aren't many deer hunters. but if its squirrel season i have the right to enjoy my sport too. i think a lot of people are so sold on deer hunting they look down on small game hunters. sort of gets me defensive, though i know it shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts