Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that deer hunters will spend lots of hours and money for game management. Do any of you do anything for the small game? If so what?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I do! I build a lot of brush piles for rabbits either from TSI or collecting fallen branches and stacking them up. I've also seen a variety of other creatures utilize them as well. I've also planted a lot of trees that will not only benefit deer, but other species as well. I try to keep a balanced habitat - save some hickories for the squirrels, keep some CSGs for the rabbits, etc.

I also tried some food plotting this year - including 2 areas with clover mixes that I thought the rabbits would enjoy and a grain plot for birds. Oddly enough IMO, the rabbits don't seem to be in the clover heavy areas anymore than the rest of my lawn. The grain plot went bust with the screwy weather this year as the sorghum never got going and the sunflowers were murdered by the deer.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The ole boys down south, get some old bed springs and put them in and around hedge or fence rows 2 x4" on the corners up just high enough for quail to get under, but tough for other critters chasing them to get under. (all cloth taken off)

Sure seems to work!

Ozzman :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Any time we cut wood or have trees fall we make brush piles. Usaully put 2 skids stacked up first for a starter then pile the brush on tight. Works great for rabbits. We also planted some wild grapes on the piles and other fallen trees, makes good cover when the snow piles on top.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like to make squirrel nests out of old tires. I cut through on side and fold the tire over itself so it is tighter (tighter spaces make it easier to insulate and it has been said as many as 50% of squirrels in MI die due to exposure).

For rabbit habitat (rabbitat) I always keep my old Christmas trees and stack them. even if you don't stack them, but space them out, rabbits love the thick cover.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do! I build a lot of brush piles for rabbits either from TSI or collecting fallen branches and stacking them up. I've also seen a variety of other creatures utilize them as well. I've also planted a lot of trees that will not only benefit deer, but other species as well. I try to keep a balanced habitat - save some hickories for the squirrels, keep some CSGs for the rabbits, etc.

I also tried some food plotting this year - including 2 areas with clover mixes that I thought the rabbits would enjoy and a grain plot for birds. Oddly enough IMO, the rabbits don't seem to be in the clover heavy areas anymore than the rest of my lawn. The grain plot went bust with the screwy weather this year as the sorghum never got going and the sunflowers were murdered by the deer.
OK I have to ask (I'm clueless). What is TSI and CSG?

Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
we took drywall buckets with the lid on cut a u shape in the bucket lid 4x4 inch and fold the flap up and pile brush on top or bury it in a hillside.the young wont dround out and nothing can get into it to eat them.they also make it easy to train your dogs as you will know were they are.and if there holding tight on some days just give the bucket a kick and try to hit the furry rocket you just released.lol

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I like to make squirrel nests out of old tires. I cut through on side and fold the tire over itself so it is tighter (tighter spaces make it easier to insulate and it has been said as many as 50% of squirrels in MI die due to exposure).

For rabbit habitat (rabbitat) I always keep my old Christmas trees and stack them. even if you don't stack them, but space them out, rabbits love the thick cover.
Can you put a picture up of it? Do you put the tire up in a tree?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
OK I have to ask (I'm clueless). What is TSI and CSG?

Dan
No problem - Timber Stand Improvement and Cool Season Grasses.

TSI - releasing better producing trees from competition by less desirable species. There are a few ways to kill the unwanted trees, but I simply cut them down and make brush piles from them. I've been freeing up sunlight to my oak trees while making brush piles from my excess maples and numerous dying ash.

CSG - first grasses to green up in the spring and offer non-woody food for rabbits. They also utilize these grassy areas for nesting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No problem - Timber Stand Improvement and Cool Season Grasses.

TSI - releasing better producing trees from competition by less desirable species. There are a few ways to kill the unwanted trees, but I simply cut them down and make brush piles from them. I've been freeing up sunlight to my oak trees while making brush piles from my excess maples and numerous dying ash.

CSG - first grasses to green up in the spring and offer non-woody food for rabbits. They also utilize these grassy areas for nesting.
I learned something new:)

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I collect pallets from businesses tossing them and then stack christmas trees that people throw out on top. It has been the best I have found for rabbits. As the trees fall apart from the weather we just collect a couple more trees after the holiday and add to the pile.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We made a bunch of skid piles and tossed whatever brush we could find on top. Will look for unsold trees as Christmas gets over. Should I start setting the bucket/lids out now or wait till spring? Any other ideas? Our property already has a pretty good population of bunnies, I'm just looking to bolster it for more dog action.

Dan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Big City I see we have the same views in quality rabbit management :lol: I was thinking that I was the only one LOL

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
The rabbits love the clover plot I have and I always plant brassica as they love that too. I plant some cover crops with sunflowers and sorgum for them also.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The rabbits love the clover plot I have and I always plant brassica as they love that too. I plant some cover crops with sunflowers and sorgum for them also.
I am surprised, but so far I haven't seen much for rabbits in my clover plots. That said, that sure love my shrub and tree plantings! They like the crabapples the best. :rant: Seems like I've spent $100 in fence and picked up twice as much old fence for free, but it's never enough!

·
Registered
198 Posts
if u guys can post some pics that be awesome. i got alot of pallets that i can use and and endless supply of 5inch and 6 inch pvc pipe and wanta do something for the bunnies so i have a place to go and work the dogs.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
I've used pallets, piling brush on top and they work great. They last longer if you put them up on old tires which keeps them above the ground and this prevents the pallets from rotting or at least slows it down considerably.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts