Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Small Fishing Boat Question

1336 16
Hey Guys,

i have a small fishing boat question. I do not really want a boat and a trailer as I do not have the space for a trailer where I live. I have a Ford Ranger and would like a small boat like a row boat that I can put in the bed of my truck and take it out by myself and just either drift or put a trolling motor on it and put to my fishing spot and go. I like to stand up when I fish so I am unsure if a kayak is a good choice but either way I would like your recommendations on a kayak or a small row boat that I can put in and out of the bed of my truck alone and go fishing.

Thank you in advance
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I looked for some pics of my 12ft Myers in the bed of my Rangers but couldnt find any.
MANY people use the method you describe to get back into the little lakes and ponds for fishing off the beaten path.

Harbor Freight sells one such support, many many more out there.
https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

I'm retired out of Ford Engine Dearborn and loved all (4or5) my Ranger 4x4 company leases, small size, 4.0l in the 4x4, mileage wasn't the best 16.5mph with lead foot installed.
Glad they are bringing the Ranger back.
Hey Guys,

i have a small fishing boat question. I do not really want a boat and a trailer as I do not have the space for a trailer where I live. I have a Ford Ranger and would like a small boat like a row boat that I can put in the bed of my truck and take it out by myself and just either drift or put a trolling motor on it and put to my fishing spot and go. I like to stand up when I fish so I am unsure if a kayak is a good choice but either way I would like your recommendations on a kayak or a small row boat that I can put in and out of the bed of my truck alone and go fishing.

Thank you in advance
I’ve done that for years, believe me it will get old quick. You need to put the boat in the truck, then all your gear, when you get there, you will put all gear on the ground, drag the boat in the water, pick up all your gear and put it in the boat. It’s ok occasionally but not every time.
Either kayak or a Sportspal canoe. If you go peddle power for the kayak, you will have a heavier boat, 85+ lbs. The Sportspal is 65lbs, 14ft, can handle either an electric motor or up to a 3 hp gas engine. Very stable.
Grew up doing that with a 12' rowboat, a 7.5 evinrude and a station wagon to put the boat on top of, later on it was a '68 Suburban.Finally when I was 18 or so I got a used '74 Dodge pickup I could fit that old boat into. We hit every puddle we could find access to. Great memories.
I’ve done that for years, believe me it will get old quick. You need to put the boat in the truck, then all your gear, when you get there, you will put all gear on the ground, drag the boat in the water, pick up all your gear and put it in the boat. It’s ok occasionally but not every time.
I will say, putting the boat on top of something is way better than a pickup, where you have to move all your gear twice for each in and out, sounds silly but a big difference
Reactions: ESOX
Good point.
I will say, putting the boat on top of something is way better than a pickup, where you have to move all your gear twice for each in and out, sounds silly but a big difference
Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.
To make it easier you just have to build some small sawhorses to flip the boat upside down on then all your gear goes under it in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Reactions: ESOX
I fish with a guy who lives 1/2 mile from his favorite lake, so he puts his boat on a regular utility trailer with his 12' boat and walla he's fishing and loads back up real nice....kudos to him...use what you got if it works!!
8ft flat bottomed car-toppers were the boat of choice of stealheaders on the west coast in the 50s & 60s , I'd like one to keep in my Suburban, but most are 10ft, so I trailer a 14 with shore-landing trailer
There used to be a guy around Kalamazoo/Battle Creek who had a white pickup with some bunks in the bed that always had what looked like a 14 foot v bottom boat and a 20 hp outboard hanging off the back. It looked like he hit the brakes too hard once and the boat jumped off the trailer into his bed. With the tail gate down that’s close to 10 feet of support from the bed, and the bunks ran out the back to support the rest of it. Once I saw him drive up the launch ramp at Coldbrook Park with the boat dripping water on the pavement on the way out, so I just missed seeing how he winched it up onto the bed. This is was about 10 years ago, but I would see that thing all over the place in parking lots and just driving around. Some of us who keep a rod and reel in the car at all times think we are prepared to fish whenever we see some good water; that guy one ups us all with having his boat there too.
Thanks for the advice guys. And some fun and interesting stories of the past even if the past was only 10 years ago and not a lot longer ;)
Try to find a 1 man boat loader .Works great for a 12ft aluminum .
That makes you travel li
You learn real fast not to take so much with you. I had a 10 foot jon boat I always threw in the back of the truck. Before the truck I had a Bronco and I fixed the caries that I had with rollers on them so I stood it up and then picked the back and rolled it on. If you fish along try and find an 8 foot V bottom boat. They use to make them but I don't think they made a lot of them
View the YouTube video on the ******* boat rack that the dude uses on the back and top of the cab of his pickup, what a hoot!!
Not sure what type of fishing you are looking to do but I bought this Avon dinghy for my dad after he had a heart attack so he could manage fishing by himself on the small lakes up north. Nice and easy and very light to take in and out of the truck by yourself and it cruises with a trolling motor. You can also mount rod holders on the transom if you want to troll. The one in the picture i found for $200 on craigslist. Since then I have bought 2 more I couldn't pass up for the price. I absolutely love these for small lake hopping and I find them to be way less tippy than the small aluminums I own. Keep an eye out on craigslist you can find these for cheap.

Water Aircraft Lake Vehicle Aerospace manufacturer
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.