Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...as may screen name suggests I am not a deer hunter but since we are in a lull in the waterfowl migration right now I have an opportunity to try for a doe on some private land. All I have is a shotgun, SBE2, with a vent rib smooth barrel...what type of slugs should I shoot out of this gun and what choke tube should I use for shooting slugs. I would say the max. shot I would be in that 50-60 yards based on where I am going to be hunting...but any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
When I had the smooth bore, I used a Modifed choke and Winchester Super X slugs. Worked great out to 50yrds.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Just make sure you get rifled slugs and not sabots. Mod or Imp. Cyl wil work. Take it to the range and see how it groups with both. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Good advise given here.

Modified or improved. Try the plain jane old style Remingtion slugs first. It says that they are rifled on the box, but are for the smoothbores. 3 bucks a box.

Start with the cheaper slugs, no need to go expensive or use 3" mag rounds.

The 2 3/4" usually group better .....most of the time.

Pick up a box of Federal and Winchester too so you can see which ones group better.

Start at 25 yards.
Your 0 shold be right on. This will make you 2" high at 50 yards which should bring you right back to dead nuts at 100 yards.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some of this has been covered in previous posts, but.

More open chokes usually work better, Cylinder Bore (no restriction), skeet, or Improved Cylinder.

I have no experience with them, but know that for some barrels they make rifled tubes.

Also as I had mentioned in another post, Truglo makes a fiber optic kit that
clamps right on your vent rib. Another option to improve accuracy.

Happy Hunting fellow duck chaser! :cool:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Modified or IC with Remington 2-3/4" sluggers.
Smooth bore.... I would use the Brenekke's. They work awsome in smoothbores... you actually hear the air-spin when they come out of the barrel. I have shot many 100 yard shots and smack a deer, before I got my rifled barrel.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Also as I had mentioned in another post, Truglo makes a fiber optic kit that clamps right on your vent rib. Another option to improve accuracy.

Yes, I use this on my 28" vent rib 870. If you see any action in low light conditions, you'll be glad you have fiber optics. The 3-ball gives you a rifle sight effect, which is helpful in full light as well.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I dont know why, but my remington 1100 smooth bore slug barrel doesnt like remington slugs.She shoots great with the cheap winchesters though. It's amazing how differently one brand shoots when compared with another. Good luck CDAD

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I dont know why, but my remington 1100 smooth bore slug barrel doesnt like remington slugs.She shoots great with the cheap winchesters though. It's amazing how differently one brand shoots when compared with another. Good luck CDAD
My 1100 cantilever rifled barrel doesn't like copper solids, but it loves the core-lokt ultras. My other 1100(20 ga.)cantilever Hastings barrel doesn't like the core-lokt ultras, but it loves the winchester partition golds. Moral of the story: each gun shoots each slug differently. End of story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts