Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and my Mossberg 500 shot the same pattern at 30 yards as it does at 100 yards. I thought that that was odd. Both yardages shot 3 inches high.
Anyone eles have any patterns that way?

Shooting a Mossberg 500 smooth bore barrell,2 3/4 1oz Brennikie(sp) slugs. With a 3x9 scope.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Shoot a 500 with Win 1oz slugs, it's on center at 40 and 100. Typical ballistic arc of a slug, nice to know what it does. Nearly an inch high at 75 and 2" low at 125.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I went to the range today and my Mossberg 500 shot the same pattern at 30 yards as it does at 100 yards. I thought that that was odd. Both yardages shot 3 inches high.
Anyone eles have any patterns that way?

Shooting a Mossberg 500 smooth bore barrell,2 3/4 1oz Brennikie(sp) slugs. With a 3x9 scope.

wow that's a good pattern for a smooth bore

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
If it's 3" high at 25 and 100 yards, it's probably around 4-4.5" high at 50-75 yards. Not too bad, but if I had a deer at 50-75 yards, I might be inclined to use a little Kentucky windage.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
that is just the ballistic arc of the rounds at those distances. it will cross the line of sight twice. If you are high at a hundred and you want to sight your shotgun in for 100yards then in my opinion you are not actually sighted in! adjust your scope so that at 100yards your group is in the bull and not 3 inches high. Are you holding the cross hairs on the Bull and still shooting high? How many rounds are you shooting at each distance to get your groups?

The better judgement of how you (and your gun/round combo) are shooting is the actual size of the groups at those distances. Doesnt mean a whole lot if you are shooting 5 inch groups at 100yards and they are 3 inches high. Just means that you could miss by 8 inches.

My typical 100yard 3 slug group when I used to shoot my shotgun was about 1.5-2 inch group with hornady sst's with a 870 and rifled barrel. Thats three slugs able to be covered by a tennis ball. If I really concentrated I could almost cloverleaf the group.

J-

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after the other day I just was not happy with my 100 yard groups. So I done a final sight in.
What do ya think?

The higher shots are 3 shots before last adjustments them the Lower 3 are Priceless.....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well after the other day I just was not happy with my 100 yard groups. So I done a final sight in.
What do ya think?

The higher shots are 3 shots before last adjustments them the Lower 3 are Priceless.....
very nice! that will work!

J-

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Outstanding! I've be confident as heck with groups like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts