Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious on everyones favorite slug gun. I will purchasing a new shot gun for my dad because every year we re-mount his scope on his multipurpose Remington Wingmaster. So, what are your guys opinions? What is the best slug gun out there? I don't care about cost, but if you give a name of a really expensive gun give an opinion of something a little more resonable.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm sure this is not the most accurate gun out there, yet I inherited a 20 gauge Mossberg with a deer slayer barrel ( rifeled ) and I am very impressed with it. I'm sure it is not very expensive set up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
One of the best I believe is the Benelli but thats expensive. I Recently purchased a Single shot H & R Ultra slug gun and the thing shoots awesome...All you need is one shot

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
I just shot an H & R last week. Very accurate topped with a Leupold scope. Next year I will have one.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
My Mossberg 500 with rifled slug barrel does a great job. A couple years ago I put a scope on it and now I wonder how I ever lived without one! I always use the same slugs, Lightfield sabots. They get consistently high ratings in hunting/gun magazines and have worked well for me.

Regardless of the weapon, all of us owe it to the animal to take only clear, high-percentage shots.

Good luck everyone!
John E.
Ypsi

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
flyman,
The 870 Wingmaster is an outstanding gun. Have you looked into the rifled slug barrels with the cantilever scope mount from Remington yet? If your father is comfortable with the fit and the trigger of the 870 he might want to stick with it.
Check out www.gunbroker.com . No FFL is needed. You can also try EBAY.
HTH,
Rupe

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There are a lot of very nice bolt action shotguns available. I have a Marlin 512, and have shot a Savage. Very accurate, and easy to mount a scope on.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your opinions. I also had the idea of the extra barrel with the cantalevier mount but, my mother who is also going in on the gun, said that she would rather buy a whole new set-up.

ds619
Which benelli model are you talking about. I have the Nova for bird hunting and love it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
she would rather buy a whole new set-up
in that case...

If I was looking for a new slug gun and was on a budget, I'd look at the Mossberg 695 bolt action synthetic. I have a 395 (which is the wood stocked, smooth bore older brother of the 695). You can pick them up at WalMart and the price is quite reasonable.
If I could spend a bit more, the Remington 1100 Synthetic Deer gun or the 870 Magnum Synthetic Deer gun. Both come with rifled barrels and rifle type sights.
Rupe

·
Registered
421 Posts
M1 or Super black eagle///The M1 is a great gun I shoot it all the time/ I checked out some other shotguns but after I shot the H and R decided that for the price and for what it was going to be used for that this would be the gun I would use.

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
after shooting a few other guns i wentr and bought the h&r ultra this summer. after 3 trips to the range i am very impressed with the gun. now i just need to finalize on what slugs i will be shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a Remington 870 Express Combo with a rifled slug barrel a couple of years ago, and it seems to be a pretty solid gun. I fired the thing 3 times, and all shots have been kills. It's definitely an affordable gun. Use Remington rifled slugs with it...just a suggestion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bill i chose the lightfield1 .25 oz. Those flew the best I tried the remington and winchester but Lightfield seemed to do the job

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I just got an 870 with rifled barrel. I was under the impression that you did not buy rifled slugs if you have a rifled barrel. Am I wrong about this? So far I have only bird hunted with it, so I have not tried the slug barrel.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You can shoot "rifled" slugs in a rifled barrel. They won't be much more accurate than they would be in a smooth bore however because they are too small to engage the rifling. Thats what sabots do for you.

I've had pretty good luck with Winchester Foster slugs in rifled barrels. About 3" at 50y. I pay the big bucks for sabots that shrink that group to under 1" at the same range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't be afraid to buy a heavy gun for slug use. I have the Mossberg 695(light synthetic stock/bolt action) and I cannot shoot 3" lightfields. I am still in my late 20's and large frame but this combination will just about bring tears to your eyes every time you pull the trigger. I still have 4 of the original 5 shells. I now shoot standard load 2 3/4 sabots and the kick is similar to a light 30.06 bolt, which is comfortable. I think a heavier gun would help this a lot. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
1wc,
While some folks have used rifled slugs in rifled barrels, the saboted and non rifled slugs are what is recommended for use with most rifled barrels. If it were me, I'd stick to the saboted slugs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a 870 express with 3" federal sabots, I had the receiver taped and put see through rings and a 2X7 Leopold and had it Magnaported. 1" groups at a hundred yards.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My dad and I both have Ithica DeerSlayers. They are nice guns. Very accurate. Of course, I'd rather use my $200 Knight Muzzleloader...more accurate and more distance.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts