Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new slug gun. Anybody have experience with the Ithaca deer slayer lll? I've heard its dead on at 100yds and very accurate out to 200-250 yds. I have to use a shotgun where I hunt but 200yd shots aren't out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Agree with Firefighter on his post regarding the new laws on allowable cartridges instead of a slug gun. I have used a cantilevered 1187... H&R Ultra Sluger... 870 smooth bore... and the 220, hands down the 220 is the best for the money. If money were no object ( and I didn't have 5 kids to feed) I would have a gunsmith make a 450 BM with a Remington action and good heavy barrel coupled with a Boyd's stock and smooth trigger job.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm in the shotgun zone and the shotgun is the last gun to be grabbed. I built a .450 and it is flat out awesome ( 2" groups at 300 yards). The next gun I would grab would be my TC Muzzle, another very accurate 200 yard gun. Last is my Ultra Slug 20, another very accurate 200 yard gun but it's not fun to shoot at $4 per shell. All guns are dialed in great and a deer with in 200 yards is meat. I always tell my friends that it doesn't matter what someone tells you about how far a gun shoots, you need to practice, have good optics, and shoot different bullets to get your gun dialed in. Some people get a gun bore sighted and think they're good to go.... Practice practice practice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought a H&R 20 last year... Put a nice scope on it and dropped a doe at 150 yards. That's plenty far enough for me!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is it true H &R was bought by Remington and they are being shut down? Not see any Ultra 20's left on shelves

·
Registered
660 Posts
Is it true H &R was bought by Remington and they are being shut down? Not see any Ultra 20's left on shelves

Yea H&R was bought by Freedom Group (Remington Marlin Etc) and they shut down H&R. Not sure why because people seem to love them, I have 2 USH's and they are great.

From Wikipidia - Marlin, including all its H&R assets, was later acquired by Remington Arms Company in December, 2007. H&R 1871, LLC production was moved to Ilion, N.Y. (the site of Remington's original manufacturing plant) in late 2008, while their corporate offices are co-located with Remington Arms in Madison, N.C. (HR1871.com and Remington.com).[citation needed] Remington, along with its Marlin and H&R subsidiaries, are now part of the Freedom Group. H&R 1871 production ceased 27 February 2015.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I had an older version of a Deerslayer III. The matte finish/laminate one. It was reasonably accurate, but it was heavy as hell and the trigger sucked. They say 4-6# trigger, and that's no joke. 6 is probably what most are. A standard shotgun trigger is not that great for rifle type shooting.

I now have a Savage 220, and it is awesome. 3 shots in a 3/4" square at 100 yards with the 3" Federal Trophy Copper loads. I still use it, even though certain rifles are legal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts