Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought today with the overcast and rain would make for a great day on the muskegon river. Got to bridgton launch rite at light and fished until 1:30 with nothing, not even a hit. Worked a solid 2 miles of the river upstream. Where are the fish at? Up river or down? Any fish even in there? I thought fall was supposed to be better fishing but last spring i killed them in the same stretch :confused: Any help i would appreciate, thanks again!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
there is a ton of steel in the muskegon I had a pretty good day upstream today. Buddy and I went 8 for 10... all fish caught on spawn fished under a float. fished late morning till about 2.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, what am i doing wrong here. I fished the muskegon again saturday from early morning till 3 in the afternoon and only cought a 14" rainbow, no fins cliped. I fished from henning up to thornapple. One of the betts guides pulled up behind me in a big run and fished it with 2 clients for quite a long time also and didnt have one hookup either. I talked to 4 different boats and no one had anything. Only person who cought anything was me and a boat at the launch that cought a 20" brown and a small rainbow they said. What am i missing here? I used single salmon eggs tied in sacs from a nickle size up to a quarter size, roe skeins of all sizes, and wax worms. I used ALL of the above baits both under a bobber just barly ticking bottom and back bouncing, and i used spinners.......besides the rainbow all i did is whack a really nice rock with my outboard and ruin my prop......"depth spotter" i had on board said it was "deep" which afterwards after i nailed the rock he told me he was joking :mad: can ANYONE PM me some ideas, or tips? Thank you This is almost 18 hours on the river and not one hookup on a salmon. Im not looking to limit out but a hookup would be nice :lol:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
ok, what am i doing wrong here. joking :mad: can ANYONE PM me some ideas, or tips? Thank you This is almost 18 hours on the river and not one hookup on a salmon. Im not looking to limit out but a hookup would be nice :lol:
Might want to try for steelhead this time of year.:help:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is almost 18 hours on the river and not one hookup
Whether it's accurate or not I don't know, but I recently read that the average time spent fishing per fish ratio for Michigan Steelhead was 17 hours per fish. I can assure you that the further along you get in the game the fish are nowhere near 17 hours apart, meaning that the bulk of the fishless hours are spent at the start while you're learning what you're doing. Stick with it, spend as much time as you can out there, observe what everyone around you is doing and try to figure out why they're doing it and things will start to click and fish will come more often and with more consistancy.

If nobody else was catching anything it could have just been an "off" day and there's not much you can do about that. It's the days that everyone is catching fish but you that will drive you nuts.

Good luck,

Mitch

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Whether it's accurate or not I don't know, but I recently read that the average time spent fishing per fish ratio for Michigan Steelhead was 17 hours per fish. I can assure you that the further along you get in the game the fish are nowhere near 17 hours apart, meaning that the bulk of the fishless hours are spent at the start while you're learning what you're doing. Stick with it, spend as much time as you can out there, observe what everyone around you is doing and try to figure out why they're doing it and things will start to click and fish will come more often and with more consistancy.

If nobody else was catching anything it could have just been an "off" day and there's not much you can do about that. It's the days that everyone is catching fish but you that will drive you nuts.

Good luck,

Mitch
This seems like a pretty accurate statement. Experience will teach you when (time of day, time of year, after certain weather events and water flows/temps) and where (structure, currents, seems, slots, holes, etc...) and techniques (plugs, spinners, spawn on bottom, waxies, bobbers, etc...). Keep at it. You are in the long end of the spectrum working towards the short end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, what am i doing wrong here. I fished the muskegon again saturday from early morning till 3 in the afternoon and only cought a 14" rainbow, no fins cliped. I fished from henning up to thornapple. One of the betts guides pulled up behind me in a big run and fished it with 2 clients for quite a long time also and didnt have one hookup either. I talked to 4 different boats and no one had anything. Only person who cought anything was me and a boat at the launch that cought a 20" brown and a small rainbow they said. What am i missing here? I used single salmon eggs tied in sacs from a nickle size up to a quarter size, roe skeins of all sizes, and wax worms. I used ALL of the above baits both under a bobber just barly ticking bottom and back bouncing, and i used spinners.......besides the rainbow all i did is whack a really nice rock with my outboard and ruin my prop......"depth spotter" i had on board said it was "deep" which afterwards after i nailed the rock he told me he was joking :mad: can ANYONE PM me some ideas, or tips? Thank you This is almost 18 hours on the river and not one hookup on a salmon. Im not looking to limit out but a hookup would be nice :lol:
Im no Pro but Dont feel too bad..I fished from thornapple up on sat from 11 untill dark. NOTHING...I went through everything in my boat. Pinned spawn,bottom bounced.back bounced.back trolled.you name it lol. I was feeling the same way you did. I talked to a few boats and they said the same thing they couldnt buy a bite...It was really sunny out .. I'll use that as an excuse..:lol:

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Well, I know a "little" about that river ;)

First off, that particular section has been beat to death. Hell, that whole river has been getting beat to death from top to bottom, so those fish are more lock jawed than anything. The day before gun deer season opened, that section of river had so many boats that it looked like Tippy to Highbridge during salmon season.

Secondly, the water was rising this weekend, that scatters fish. It doesn't take much to move those fish around in that river. Some spots can be here today gone tomorrow with a simple 200cfs spike in water.

There was a pretty good push a few weeks ago, but it's not like it was fins and tails everywhere. If you knew the water, you could have some good days...some damn great days, in fact, but I've seen more numbers in there in the past. Other than a few spots here and there that have had some concentrations, the bulk of those fish have been scattered and I've found some in places I never caught fish before (ie farther down in a run, more toward shore...etc,etc) meaning, explore different areas around the runs and you might find them there instead of what looks like a typical run.

That river has just slowed way down in general...not just that section. Some good days, more bad days right now.

Did I mention it's been beat to death? X amount of fish + pressure = fish put down. At least up top. Down low has been slooooooow as well. Even the trout have stopped biting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That section has been getting pounded, day in and day out. Do yourself a favor and hit a different strech of river. A buddy and I went way down yesterday and ended up hitting quite a few fish and didnt see many boats at all it was great,

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in my post i ment steelhead not salmon haha, now i feel like a idiot! Well thanks guys aleast its not just me not getting into anything. I will keep trying.....atleast its alot better than work! Now i have to rush and find a prop for this weekend :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts