Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Slips and falls

787 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  wpmisport
Some of you know Perchjerker and I were very good buddies, spoke almost every day up until 3 days before he passed. The part most didn’t know was the conversation Brian and I had on the first of September after I slipped and fell at another boat launch. I was helping another member launch his pontoon, it was the first time launching that toon, I forgot to take off a safety cable and was looking for it. I cranked the trailer up found the release and needed to step over the tongue to work the break on the winch. When I turned to step over my feet went out from under me my left palm hit the ground and my right arm got caught on the trailer and kept my butt from hitting the ground but twisted my up. Probably saved my head from hitting the ground or the bumper, 100% caused by my complacency and comfort on the boat ramps. Brian chewed me out, not out of anger but concern. We both reminded each other to be careful every time we were launching.

Today I spent a couple hours taking a nap on a very cold table while the surgeon repaired my Labrum, Rotator Cuff and grinding on my collarbone. Now I get to spend the next several weeks in a sling followed by weeks/months of PT. I’m not complaining about it, I just want to remind people to be careful doing the thing you love to do or you could be sidelined.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Aging is a bear. Healing once you start aging is a bear with PMS and cubs. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Reactions: hommer23
Dam Dean! That sucks! Get better soon!
Some of you know Perchjerker and I were very good buddies, spoke almost every day up until 3 days before he passed. The part most didn’t know was the conversation Brian and I had on the first of September after I slipped and fell at another boat launch. I was helping another member launch his pontoon, it was the first time launching that toon, I forgot to take off a safety cable and was looking for it. I cranked the trailer up found the release and needed to step over the tongue to work the break on the winch. When I turned to step over my feet went out from under me my left palm hit the ground and my right arm got caught on the trailer and kept my butt from hitting the ground but twisted my up. Probably saved my head from hitting the ground or the bumper, 100% caused by my complacency and comfort on the boat ramps. Brian chewed me out, not out of anger but concern. We both reminded each other to be careful every time we were launching.

Today I spent a couple hours taking a nap on a very cold table while the surgeon repaired my Labrum, Rotator Cuff and grinding on my collarbone. Now I get to spend the next several weeks in a sling followed by weeks/months of PT. I’m not complaining about it, I just want to remind people to be careful doing the thing you love to do or you could be sidelined.
Reactions: RHRoss and hommer23
In the early 80's, I spent a few weeks in late summer with my Uncle. He and his fishing buddy took me with them salmon fishing every day. Summer vacation ended and I went back to school. Soon after, they were putting the boat on the trailer and his buddy (whose name I've forgotten) slipped on the green slime at the ramp. He hit his head and had to be rushed to the hospital.

I went to see him at the hospital and they had tube socks on his hands to keep him from hurting himself because he was constantly convulsing. He ended up dying within two weeks.

We talk a lot about boater safety, but the ramp can be as unforgiving as the water.
Surprisingly the nerve block is just starting to wear off so the pain hasn’t been to bad yet. One thing I didn’t find a solution to is putting my recliners foot rest up. Every piece of furniture in l looked at has the handle on the right side, our sectional has the buttons on the right side. I did talk the woke into bringing my old lazy boy upstairs even though it don’t match, but it fits me like a glove.
Reactions: Josh R and Erik
Remember perch jerker made a post here about it being his last day at work. I could tell he was really excited and I was excited for him. Was so shocked when he fell like that. Now I think about him quite a bit. I'm 3 yrs away from being able to retire.

Just a couple weeks ago while fishing on the ice up north my friend came out to visit with me. He didn't have cleats on and the ice was really slippery. I was like dang dude, you got to wear cleats. One fall is all it takes. And proceeded to tell him about perch jerker.
I think about now. One fall away from being in a nursing home. One fall away from everyone in my life to have to take care of me. One fall away from meeting perch jerker in heaven!
Can you be too careful? IDK. But I know it definitely is on my mind these days.

Hope you get better quickly hommer23!
My son said he wants his old dad back when he went to bed. He misses the cuddles and horseplay before bedtime.
Aging is a bear. Healing once you start aging is a bear with PMS and cubs. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Reactions: Far Beyond Driven
Heal fast & thank you for the reminder of safety!
Doesn't have to be a boat ramp... A friend of mine called me yesterday and said his wife had a slip and fall just walking the dog yesterday morning. Four hours in the ER getting a cast for her wrist that went above her elbow. She also banged her head and smacked her shoulder hard. I told him he's lucky that's all that happened.
Reactions: hommer23 and mcfish
When I talk to my wife about spending the winters in a warmer place, slipping on ice always comes up.
Doesn't have to be a boat ramp... A friend of mine called me yesterday and said his wife had a slip and fall just walking the dog yesterday morning. Four hours in the ER getting a cast for her wrist that went above her elbow. She also banged her head and smacked her shoulder hard. I told him he's lucky that's all that happened.
wishing you a speedy recovery
Reactions: Erik and hommer23
Get healed up Hammer. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I know it doesn't matter, but I was curious to know boat PJ moved on too? I know he sold the Grady but did not see his next project. I have a pic of his Grady saved to my phone.
When to a Tracker Targa 18’.
Reactions: Walleyze247
Dammit hommer !

Heal well.
Thought I could put my gloves on while riding my mountain bike. That didn’t work. For the lack of taking five seconds to pull over and dig them out of my hoody pockets I’ll never have full use of my right arm again.

You never know. That trip you wanted to take, book it. That friend you haven’t talked to, call them. That gear you’ve been looking at, buy it…
I keep a cheap pair of ice cleats on a pair of old boots all the time. Just in case the driveway gets icy, they are ready to go.
Get well soon Hommer
1 - 16 of 16 Posts