Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my "Jesus shoes", jumped into my "raft" and fished on the ice all day again today. For the sake of people who really need accurate info, please post real information, not guesses. Many of us travel long distances(or don't) base on the information of others.

The blue gills were kind to me today, granting me a limit of good sized gills. Can't beat being on the ice with friends with the fish gods smiling on us. Nice to fish with you again Ed, Mark. The ice was between 2-4 inches. Most of the bay has blown out and the rest is questionable. I couldn't make it to the breakwall, I was getting water on the first hard hit of my spud. Both canals were decent, and after tonight will only be better. Sure hope things stay cold for a while, we gotta thin the perch populations a little before the boat boys get another crack at them.

Harry

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We played it safe today heh Mark ?????:dizzy: by letting my BIG arse to go first.:evil: Nice to see ya also my friend, we hauled out 29 not bad for a half of a day !!!! had to have are A game book out today. Gods indeed man we sure are bleessed to even have half of what we have, I have fun the minute I jump in my truck. CYA in a few weeks Harry.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Naw johnny. Just diehard fanatics enjoying life at every opportunity they can. ;) Wouldn't expect anything different from them. :) Besides ficious had all the angles covered. " Jesus shoes".:D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So did you fish the first canal at the raft? I may head out there tomorrow:) Did you guys have the shanty along ?

Brian

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Well this weather has to have helped today and tonight.With the colder temps it might even make a little ice tonight.Good luck to all those still going out be safe.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
As of 11:00, it is 21 degrees here in South Lyon, heading down into the teens, it will definitely make 1-1 1/2" inches of ice tonite... I have to agree w/ Harry and Ed on previous posts, don't look at the bay/canals from your your car/truck and automatically assume they are unsafe until you have safely physically checked them with your spud...Last weekend was a prime example of that with a report that the ice is gone and Harry fished on that ice all day last Sat...I know we all try to look out for each other to be safe when it comes to what little safe ice we have, but that report from last week in Fairhaven cost me a trip there because the report was that it was gone and I made other plans...Good job Harry and Ed, feel free to PM me the details as I might head out Wed. if it doesn't get too warm early in the week...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hey, good to see you guys got on some safe ice and got into some fish that were cooperating.... good job... things almost back to normal around the home from with my fiancee home from the hospital now so i might try to make it out in the next couple days... feel free to PM me details.. :16suspect thanks...lol

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Fishing was slow caught 20 smerch and 3 gills. Kept 3 gills and 1 perch, but gave them away. Ice in the canal was 3-4 inches of good solid ice. Dont venture out past the break wall like some yahoo's did today that ice is 1 1/2". I also seen someone ice fishing in shorts and tennis shoes he lasted about 5 minutes.:lol:

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I was out there also Brian. Saw the wacko in the shorts.

Didn't do much. Three smerch and lost a little bait. That's about it. Some guys caught some decent gills but they only caught one about once an hour. Makes for a long day.

Like a dumba$$, I left most of my jigs in my truck so I ended up trying to gill fish with perch jigs. Little too big. But it was a beautiful day with the sun shining once in a while. Most of the gills I saw were too small to keep anyway.

Saw a couple of dummies leaving smerch on the ice to freeze. Oh well, the mink in the area will have something to eat.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Seen some guys down on some canals by selfrige today.Ice is safe but it didnt look like they were catch much of anything.I seen one small gill laying on the ice by someone.I was on my way to bass pro shops and just stopped by for a moment.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Harry was up north with ny dad fishing Burt lake. 7-8" of good ice and there was a guy who drove his jeep on the ice. Little to crazy if you ask me.

Nick

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick,

How did you guy do?? Perch/gills?? You're making me jealous with all that ice!

Harry

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hey Harry, we were targeting perch. But, set up a couple of tip ups for walleye. Nick got an 18"er Friday a.m.
We didn't do to bad, we could have limited out both days, but kept size limits. Friday we didn't keep any under 8", ended up with 15. Threw back lots of 7 to 8" fish. Saturday we didn't keep anything under 9", and we kept 20.
Saw some hogs in there, but couldn't get them to cooperate. They would not hit a lively minnow. Or if they did try, but missed they would just swim off.
We tried minnow heads on small swedish pimples, but not consistantly putting fish in the bucket. Around 12:30 Nick decided to use a plain #14 treble / minnow head combo. That was the ticket. Any treble bigger than a #14 and they wouldn't hit it. I used a big lively shiner on a big flashy jig, to lure fish in. The dinks would mess with the shiner and not the head. And the big ones would come in and inhale the head. Unfortunately it was 12:30 when we figured them out. And our fishing time was running out. So we were happy with 20.
On a side note, Nick saw a big Brown trout, that he said would have dwarfed the 24"er I caught 2 years ago.
We'll be back up there Super bowl weekend.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Harry, of corse i had the biggest perch. To bad it was only 10.5" still nice day on the ice when dad and i go back i know where i'm fishing. Must have been a weed bed near by all came from the same dirrection. The other jig that did good was a horazontile white with a small white dot on it well plus the minnow head. last year near 9 mile i lost a hog it was close to 15" if you don't believe me ask my dad he was laughing atme for the rest of the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts