Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive started to like bobbers a little more in certain situations. I like that I can put slack above the bobber and let the fish run with the bait a little before setting, and they seem not to feel a small bobber and hold on the minnow longer. My daughter had some trouble hand over handing 10ft of line in on her schoolie last time out and under the clip on bobber I had rigged up for her. I even admit its cumbersome for me in 10ft plus, and my line ends up a mess.

So I want to rig up a slip bobber rig or two for next time, but wondering how that works best when things are freezing cold. does the rubber bobberstop work better or the little pink thread type? I figure the bobber and stop tend to want to freeze together, and the stop tends to make a little ice ball and get hard to reel in and let out? Hit me with some tips please!

· Registered
6,002 Posts
I use the thill slip bobbers with the knot and bead so you can set your depth. Have never had issues with it freezing up. Maybe it’s the type of line you’re using?

I should add I usually am not bucket fishing and am inside a shanty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,601 Posts
I use the slip bobber with string stop and a bead, and yes they freeze up so I only use them in a shanty with a heater. First thing I do is get the heater going bring the poles in let them warm
up, and jig with spoon or rap with another pole until I'm able to use them. (usually it only takes a few minutes and I'm good to go)

· Registered
11 Posts
I always use the rubber slip bobber stops along with a regular clip on bobber. when I put the bobber on the line, I turn the hook part of the wire so it does not go through the hole of the bobber to pinch the line as it is intended to. instead it sits on the surface of the bobber to allow a space for the line to pass through. this way I can use a much smaller bobber so the fish are less likely to feel the bobber and I can always remove the bobber without having to cut my line
Wood Automotive lighting Natural material Light bulb Tints and shades

· Registered
106 Posts
Slip floats rule for steelhead and deep water fish. I found that the rubber or neoprene ones tend to slip down the line so i use the knotted dacron thread. I used to use the Class double-ring sliders so I could see it better 20 feet away. Everything freezes too much when single digits. Otherwise, just below freezing, it is a maintenance chore like cleaning holes. I started using the foam ice buster slip floats in colder weather. Slip floats work great as a dead stick line. I also use a HT ice rigger sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.