Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been fishing Sleepy Hollow yet this year and what

are the ice conditions? Last year my brother and I fished it hard

but only caught dinks. Are there any gills with size to them there

anymore?If so is there a general area to find them? My brother

did well on the crappie late season by the

spillway after dark. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Haven't been there yet this year, but there are some good 'gills in there. You can do pretty well in the spring when they're in shallow spawning. Problem ice fishing is there are so many dinks that you hardly ever find the big ones. And yeah, the crappies can be good at times also, but same problem as with 'gills. I live only 5 miles away, so I can try it often. I'll post a report when I fish it.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Haven't been out this year, but I believe there was a post last week, saying that there was about 2" of ice......
I agree about the size issue, but still can bring home a meal's worth of 6"+ gills: not huge, but big enough to eat. Seems like I have caught fewer but larger gills on hot pink and purple, more and smaller on chartreuse.
Try fishing away from the groups of anglers, if you want fewer and larger fish. I have done best by fishing along the east side of the old riverbed, usually in about 9fow.
I MAY be checking it out on Monday morning. Will post, if I do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Went out yesterday and there was was 3.5 to 4 inches of ice. Everyone we talked to was having a slow day of it. For some reason the water was really clear and could see down in at least 13' of water. There was a lot of people south of the large island yesterday. Good luck if you go.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
First ice was really slow last year as well.....maybe for the same reason. Didn't pick up till after the water got a bit cloudy. Maybe need to go down to 3/4# line and #14 teardrdops

1 - 6 of 6 Posts