Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you can pull a person on a sled with an ATV has anyone built a sled kind of like a dog sled. I really don't want to have to sit in a sled to be taken on the ice because of the kick up of ice, water, snow that an atv will give off. I was thinking that if I make a ply wood box with skis and handles then I could stand on it, kind of like a dog sled. I was also thinking that it would be a great place to carry gear. Has anyone made anything like this or seen any plans on the web? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I've been pulled in the sled before, quite a few times. I've never been covered with snow. Actually I've been zinging my daughter around the backyard in one of my extra Otter sleds and she hasn't been complaining about the snow either. I think it kinda depends on how fast you're going.
For this year, I'm just gonna unload the ATV, unhook the trailer from my truck then hook it to my ATV, then everyone can pile in and awaaaaaaaay we go.

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
has anyone built a sled kind of like a dog sled

Gonna start working on one over the holidays......Of course that means it'll be done in May!!!! :D Gonna try some aluminum and see how that holds up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with a trailer is two-fold. First, I don't have one and I'm really not interested in buying one. Second, I want the weight of the quad in the truck because I only have a 2x4 and the extra weight will be great. Let me know how the aluminu one turns out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too am in the same boat as you. Me and my dad purchased a quad last march and we are trying to find some way for us to both get out on the ice. I like the idea of using the truck trailer but i was worried about not being able to get around in 6+ inches of snow. Seems to me like that trailer would get bogged down quite a bit from the snow and just make the 4 wheeler tires spin on the ice. Maybe chains would help this. Im in a bind i need to figure something out ice season (safe ice) is only a week or 2 away. I remember watching a michigan outdoors show (maybe great lakes outdoors) last year about guys fishing on sag. bay. They had some sort of sleigh that looked like it would work pretty well. any ideas on where to get these at?:confused:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have some pictures of it in my gallery I think # 9 &10 it works good. the wind break was a after thought if someone wanted to fish out of the shack or to windy for my 3000

·
Registered
860 Posts
I built a seat that hooks onto the back rack of my quad that my son sits on when we take it out. It is like the ones you see that you can carry wood and stuff on that swings up and down on the back. I used it for carrying my clam, but now I just drag that and carry my son. I thnk the site that I got the idea from was http://www.ryansatvracks.com/handehauler.asp web site

flydunker

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
chiefsLB59 said:
I too am in the same boat as you. Me and my dad purchased a quad last march and we are trying to find some way for us to both get out on the ice. I like the idea of using the truck trailer but i was worried about not being able to get around in 6+ inches of snow. Seems to me like that trailer would get bogged down quite a bit from the snow and just make the 4 wheeler tires spin on the ice. Maybe chains would help this. Im in a bind i need to figure something out ice season (safe ice) is only a week or 2 away. I remember watching a michigan outdoors show (maybe great lakes outdoors) last year about guys fishing on sag. bay. They had some sort of sleigh that looked like it would work pretty well. any ideas on where to get these at?:confused:
I doubt you'd have a problem,,, you should see some of the contraptions that guys pull around LSC with their ATV's. I saw one "crew" either last year or the year before, they had a LONG A$$ flatbed trailer with all their crap and at least 15 guys sittin' on it. I can't remember what kind of ATV they had but they had no problems pulling it, they all had to get off to make it up the ramp but that was it. As long as you have 4x4, I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that i will have to give the trailer a try and see how well it works in the snow. i do have 4x4 and i would imagine that my 500 h.o sportsman will be able to pull that loaded with equipment and people in the back. Do u recommend getting tire chains for all 4 tires when using this set up???

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
LOL, hell no. I'm not dragging chains too. LMAO! I'm in the same boat as you(first timer ATV on ice). If the trailer deal doesn't work, everyone is just gonna have to sit on/in their shanties while I drag 'em out. On a side note,,, you guys should take a look at the pics roger23 has in his gallery. Talk about "packed to the gills". LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a regular sled for pulling behind my quad and i love it.I had a freind give it to me a few years ago.He used it behind his sled.The sides fold in and the back folds down.There is enough room for one guy to stand on the back and one guy sitting in the sled plus your gear.I will try and find out the name of the manufacturer.I now its made in minnesota.Ok here is a link for the sled that i use.Its called fold a sledhttp: //www.heeters.com/snbsleds.shtml

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a honda 450 automatic, chains on all 4. Pull a trailer with 6 people and gear with no problems. Also, put mud flaps on the back to keep snow and ice flying up on passenger.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Here's mine, just sub my quad for the dog and off ya go.
Need help again :sad: . Something basic I'm missing...
Anyway, Cabelas had these, probably still do. Folds up enough to fit under the cap on my pu.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
FishingJoe said:
Here's mine, just sub my quad for the dog and off ya go.
Need help again :sad: . Something basic I'm missing...

Here you go.........

This is what I do for posting pix, there's other ways, probably easier.

Go to your gallery
Click on the picture you want to put in your post to enlarge it.
With cursor on pic, right click, and select properties. Left click and drag to highlight the Address (Url) in blue, making sure to also drag down, even below the text, to pick up everything. With your cursor in the blue highlighted area, right click and choose copy. Click ok.

Now go and make your post. To insert the pic, click on the Insert Image Button (looks like a postcard letter). A box will appear. Within the text area, right click and choose paste. Click ok. Your url address (picture) will appear in your post. You can move that url up and down anywhere you want on the page and that's where the pic will appear. You can always check to make sure it shows up by previewing your post. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello all i dont get this photo thing but was able to post my dog sled some where on the site lmao here is a link to my home made dog sled ( hope this works ) i had most of the wood stain and polyurathane allready the cost for me was bolts screws and conduit for the handle and tow bar this 1 cost me about 40 bucks but can be made for about a 100 or less and lots of time my buddy gave me the ski's for free here is the link American Angler http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=35710

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
American Angler,

Wow, that is really cool. You should go into business. Here's the picture:

·
Registered
833 Posts
now that's what Ive been talking about! super sled ther A.A.

·
Registered
833 Posts
alright guys, how do you get to see rogers pics in his gallery I can't find any pics ? am I looking in the wrong place? I went up to the gallert page...so confused.

·
Registered
833 Posts
why thanks W.B. I never would have figured that out.....jeez

1 - 20 of 22 Posts