Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, Stinky stinky....

What do you do? I have been fighting these critters for too long now. I have read and researched as much as I want to do. I have tried the light at the hole, the music to annoy them (one of those annoying rap groups that I figured would annoy them as it annoys me), covering up their hole, using mothballs, and many others. Now I am at the point that my small game license may need to be used on these critters. I hesitate to trap them live for two reasons, one I have heard that it might be illegal to trap and release live in another area. I guess in Wisconsin that is the case. Boher maybe you can answer that one. Second, I don't want to get smelly! Although I guess if I am a little lucky and tricky I might be able to pull it off without getting sprayed. My question is, what is going to be the best way to solve my problem of getting rid of Skunks. Trap & relocate, Winchester, or other means yet to be mentioned?

·
Registered
27 Posts
And if the ammonia doesn't get rid of them, they will at least be clean little critters.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DodgeDad (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I would try the ammonia first.

Second, I would use a live trap (with a rope tied to the trap, right at the entrance. Use sardines for bait. With the skunk in the trap, cover the trap with a tarp, old blanket or something. It you are close to some water with nobody around, throw the trap with skunk in it into the water, skunk will die with no smell. If not close to water, fill a big garbage can with water and do the same. Do not take the skunk and release it somewhere else. If all else fails or you don't like the water thing, take the trap out into the woods, release and shoot the skunk. I will stink when you shoot it though so stay upwind!

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I would also try amonia, and not a little bit either. Another is smelling salts. You can buy a jar of smelling salts for a few bucks. It is far more concentrated than the normal liquid amonia. Wait til the night time. Put some food outside to lure it out, then put the smelling salts by where it is getting in.

Ever see a UP mouse trap? Maybe mega-size one to work for the skunk. Like in garbage can.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Am i wrong, or can't you use a bowl of milk of magnesia as well? i can't remember why it works though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Bigmountain,

Here's an interesting suggestion. In your case probably a last resort.
My father used to do this for skunks if they were in the hen house. He got tired of shooting them and having them still spray.

He'd first close the doors to lock the skunk in the house. Then he'd just back up the riding mower and attach a flexable hose (clothes dryer duct) to the exhaust and run the exhaust into the hen house. He'd leave the tractor running for about 20 minutes. It always did the trick! No spraying, the skunk would just peacefully fall asleep. After opening the doors and windows and waiting a few minutes, he'd just walk in and pick up the expired skunk.

I don't know if this would work under your house though. It would depend on whether or not you could seal up the area under the house. Exhaust fumes (CO etc.) are heavier than air, so they would tend to settle in low spots, but some fumes still might penetrate into the house. It all depends. I'd still be careful and use common sense (remove all living things from the house first, open doors/windows, don't enter the house for a few hours, etc.).

Good luck,
RUPP

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I think Rupp hit the nail on the head. I have done this technique with a possum in the garage. I just closed the door, started the truck and came back in an hour.

I also have a really rich running small engine (garbage pump) that I have done to clear rats out of the garage. It works every time--even for bees.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used to do a lot of trapping in the mobile home park where we used to live. Do not shoot a skunk in the head!! They let go every time I did it. High powered pellet to the lungs and they fill up quietly, that's an old trappers secret.Amonium gas can kill so be carefull! Make sure you can get to the animal after it dies or you ain't smelled nothing yet! Don't consider "exhausting" in your house, its not an option.The live trap is probably your best bet,Boehr's instructions were DEAD on!

G

·
A few years ago the skunks and wood chucks got to be a BIG pain, so I purchased a live trap and did trap many with no problems. I used the same method as Boehr said to use in his post to get rid of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will first try the ammonia idea since that is the most popular. I am a little worried about that though. I don't know how many there are. I have found a nice trap at one of the web sites mentioned in one of the previous posts. It uses two 5 gal buckets. Put them together and cut a hole for the trap mechanism, and let it fly. Since it is a container, the fear of getting that lovely perfume on me will be eliminated. Thanks, I will keep you all updated, it is a summerhouse so I will not have time to get active until later this spring. Sardines sound good for bait we will see.

Bigmountain

G

·
Don't worry about getting sprayed if using a live trap, just cover with a black tarp, because as you know they are nocturnal, and like the dark, then just pick-up the trap with it covered and dispose of like in previous post.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
I dunno about your problem bigmountain but I was wonderin. Aren't skunks sopose to be hibernating right now. I was up at treetops this weekend and when I got off the chairlift it smelled like skunk. Wud up with dat. Anyone know what the problem was...

------------------
Stelmon, the only one.
Becareful out there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts