Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am looking for someone to skin, stretch and tan a hide for me? I am willing to pay. I just don't know how to it and don't have time right now. I am in the grand rapids area. any information would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hi
I am looking for someone to skin, stretch and tan a hide for me? I am willing to pay. I just don't know how to it and don't have time right now. I am in the grand rapids area. any information would be great!

Thanks
Might be good to tell us what kind of hide you're wanting tanned. It's not skinned yet?

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
There are many people that can flesh and stretch, tanning is not real easy. It really depends if you want a garment tan that's soft and pliable. Off the shelf tanning kits work okay but softening the leather is a lot of work.

What species is it?

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
...and your final goal is to hang it on the wall?

It's on the carcass in the freezer now?

Was it shot? Where on the body? With what weapon?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
hopefully u froze it belly up, or depending on the amount of time the stomach acid can ruin the pelt.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It really depends if you want a garment tan that's soft and pliable. Off the shelf tanning kits work okay but softening the leather is a lot of work.

Aye that! I did up a couple of deer hides this season. A LOT of time is an understatement. But they turned out well.

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Virtually anyone that has skinned a few coyotes would want to do a frozen one. They skin so much easier when warm. Watch a few Youtube videos on skinning. Skin it, then throw it in the freezer, I can help you with the rest. It's best to learn handS on so you can hit the ground running next time. Small holes in the hide are not visible once tanned. The face is the hardest.
I'm south of Lansing 15 miles or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts