Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I tie one? What size hook is the best? Jello, Borax, Or nothing?
I got a couple nice chunks this weekend and want to use them next weekend. I never used skein, but I got a few floats on the river that happened to be coming down the drift, but nothing attached so I don't know what to do.
Thanks,
PETE

·
Registered
888 Posts
Pete, the easiest way is to use it fresh, cut into quarter sized chunks (or so), hook it through the membrane and wrap spider thread around it and your hook 3-4 times.

I had a few 60 fish days in Alaska last year and really learned how to fish skein that way. You can find "spider thread" or "magic thread" near the bag netting at any tackle shop.

Just like any other bait there are other ways of doing it that might work better or worse. I'm sure others have better ways. This is just what works for me thus far.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just tie a snell knot on the hook then feed a little line through the eye to form a loop. Put skein through the loop and pull loop snug. Works great! Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
cured strawberry jello, borax period! Let it sit out and dry for a couple of hours, then coat with strawberry jello mix, then put in a bag with borax and shake it up. Use big chunks with a snell knot. Fishes best in slower runs. If the water is clear use a smaller chunk. That should get on your way and into some fish.
John

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My recomendation goes against what others have told you. I say learn how to tie the "real" egg loop knot, a simple snell will work but once you fight a fish on a snelled hook the knot pulls tight to the eye and you can't open the loop back up. You must then cut the line and retie the knot, that can take up alot of time not to mention that snelling a hook is not fun with freezing cold hands.

The egg loop is not an easy one to tie and best taught first hand, here is a link to some instructions.

Good luck,

Mitch

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Good link Mitch. The vido of it is pretty good.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas!!! That video is right on. I tied it a couple times, I need a bigger hook(I think) kind of like a hair rig for carp. Regardless, after I log off the Betsie will be wetting my lines. Good Luck to all, and to all a good night. Thanks again.
PETE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts