Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is on the size of red fox. I'm not sure what is a marketable size/length. I've caught 3 now, and they seem a little small to me. The first 2 fox I put up measured 32" and 28" nose to base of the tail. This is on a 6" wide wood board.

The 3rd one was about the same as the first two. It was a female so I let her go. I don't know for sure how many are in the area and I definitely don't want to harvest reds that are young of this year if they have limited value.

I have experience with coyote, and that may be throwing me off on the size. These reds are nowhere near the size of the coyotes.

I believe the size chart says 28" and above is L/XL. Is that kind of a benchmark to go by? Are the Reds that I've caught from this spring, or are they fully mature?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read and wrote down that the average size of an adult male red fox is 41.5" long and 10.8 lbs. The female adult average is 37.5" and 8.8lbs.
I don't remember exactly where I found this but it was a research study done in the great lakes area so I figured it was pretty applicable to what we find here.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Any red is very valuable in this market....i personally wouldn't release them but that is me. I have not seen a drop in reds around here since I have been trapping them last several years.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Any red is very valuable in this market....i personally wouldn't release them but that is me. I have not seen a drop in reds around here since I have been trapping them last several years.
My fox catch was down 80% last year and so far this year be it scouting or setting, I have not seen a red's track!!!

The 1st of September I was speaking with a property owner I used to trap on and he said he finally saw a red cross the road in front of him the day before and it was bare from the shoulders back.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My fox catch was down 80% last year and so far this year be it scouting or setting, I have not seen a red's track!!!

The 1st of September I was speaking with a property owner I used to trap on and he said he finally saw a red cross the road in front of him the day before and it was bare from the shoulders back.
You must have way more coyotes down your way. Reds seem to do pretty well here even among the coyotes. Or maybe you had a disease whipe them out? I have seen a red here with mange either but yotes have seen plenty. OT

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yup, Parvo came through last year according to a local vet along with the mange that had been here. A 1-2 punch that hammered all canines along with the Parvo knocking back coon numbers. Along with my fox catch being off 80%, my coyote catch was down 30% last year and with the mange still here(been here for the 4th season). During the past 3 years I've had to pull off much of my old lines due to catching nothing with fur, only plenty of big, runny scabs!

I feel the balance between the red population and coyote is pretty static if the balance of the coyote is maintained. I say this because of my catch data of the two never varies a whole lot one year from the next. I have been pleased every year with the red and grey fox catch compared to the coyote catch until last year. Setting the same properties every year for a quite a few years allows for a pretty good picture of the balance when everything remains healthy.

Property owner after property owner telling me this year that though they ALWAYS hear coyote every year, all year-round, 3 out of 4 are telling me they're not this year and they're right, no sign! I'm anticipating a similar year as last this year for both canines unless I seriously enlarge my lines to which I have no intention of doing. Ya can't catch ghosts!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Other than muskrat, I don't worry about overharvest and keep all critters. You caused me to double check Fur Harvesters for sizes and will pass them along. Your boards should be 5.25" at their widest point. Over 34"= 2X. 32"-34"=1X. 28"-32"=LG. Under 28"=Md-Sm. I've heard reds may get up to $70. I'd keep em.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Reds avg around $60 last year and that includes early caught ones as well.

Seldom,

Yeah mange is a bugger that is for sure, sounds like you have had it far worse than here, but our coyote population isn't very high around here right now either, I believe mange really knocked them down 2 and 3 years ago and they are starting to recover now, had a good pup year around here it appears. Some properties where i have taken mangy yotes every year I catch a lot of reds there and never had a red with it. This year that farm has taken clean yotes and clean reds and I haven' trapped it very much yet due to it being our farm I have all winter.

I wish I could trap some all winter but with the open ground here the snow amount and worst of all the wind I would spend way more time trying to maintain sets than catching canines.

My reds are down this year but I didn't trap one of my best red properties from last year and I haven't put the time into a few others yet either and not sure that I will. But I know the reds are around as I have seen the sign.

OT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts