Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
We have a 14ft. flatbottom boat that we have taken down the Joe a few different times. We haven't been very far down from Shamrock park when we went, so I'm not familiar w/ things way down river. My question is this; what are some of the sizes of boats you guys run in the Joe? Any problems in certain spots that you are not able to go into because of using a larger boat? How much water does your boat draft?
I ask this not because I'm conerned w/ my 14ft. boat but because I was wondering about the size of some of the larger boats. And not so much the size, but the amt. of water they draft. This may help to ease my mind a bit if we decide to take a larger boat downriver.
Thanks guys, ;)

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
I have a 20.5 fter I use there and on the Black, and The Kalalmazoo. The only place I get nervous is the sportsmans club during low water.I have seen charters use 24 ft deep V's, and 25 ft pontoons with little problem.

Mine runs in 2 ft of water, but my prop has a few nicks in it!:yikes:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Spanky said:
I have a 20.5 fter I use there and on the Black, and The Kalalmazoo. The only place I get nervous is the sportsmans club during low water.I have seen charters use 24 ft deep V's, and 25 ft pontoons with little problem.

Mine runs in 2 ft of water, but my prop has a few nicks in it!:yikes:
a few nicks? :lol: :lol:

Though I've only been dealing with St. Joe for a couple years, last spring I had my Slickcraft which drafts about 30" up as far as Benton Township launch. The river was up then though. when it's low I won't try it but it's up now and I could run that river without problems . even with the river being up like it is now to go past the 94 bridge I'm sure there are places I have to raise the drive and use the kicker. I just don't want to deal with re-winerizing an I/O over & over again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts