Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im hitting up 6th St. on Thursday. With this warm weather im not expecting too much, but thought Id give it a try anyways. Im very familiar around the damn area, but never really explored past the expressway bridge down river. Is it worth exploring and any dangerous spots I need to be aware of? Last time I found the deep hole just under the expressway and got wet.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Go to it ,,put some shorts on some old tenies go explore (waters low n warm) do like i did so many years ago but no swimin in the canal (its gone) no diving off the dam (they will lock u up now for that, u might still be able to swim up the ladder yet...now that i think about it that might b a bad idea. naway go jump in the river the waters fine.

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
There has never been a better time to explore while there is fish in the river. Go in wet, it is pleasant.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you are worried about the holes, just take a wading stick with. Drill a hole and attach it to your belt with a length of rope, and it can double as a stringer if you get something worth keeping.

It's nice to use to check ahead for holes, but also to lean on when you bang your toes on a big invisible rock, or slide off one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey all,

Im hitting up 6th St. on Thursday. With this warm weather im not expecting too much, but thought Id give it a try anyways. Im very familiar around the damn area, but never really explored past the expressway bridge down river. Is it worth exploring and any dangerous spots I need to be aware of? Last time I found the deep hole just under the expressway and got wet.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
6,524 Posts
There has never been a better time to explore while there is fish in the river. Go in wet, it is pleasant.
I agree I had a blast walking and exploring this past wknd, the smallies and largies kept me busy while waiting for the coho. Seen cpl eagles, a osprey and some deer wish I could get back out here soon.

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
I agree I had a blast walking and exploring this past wknd, the smallies and largies kept me busy while waiting for the coho. Seen cpl eagles, a osprey and some deer wish I could get back out here soon.
I had an eagle reading me the riot act the other morning for a good 15 minutes. Apparently it did not like my company. :lol:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey all,

Im hitting up 6th St. on Thursday. With this warm weather im not expecting too much, but thought Id give it a try anyways. Im very familiar around the damn area, but never really explored past the expressway bridge down river. Is it worth exploring and any dangerous spots I need to be aware of? Last6 s time I found the deep hole just under the expressway and got wet.
Try up river 6 street Is gonna be slow

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
A lot of regulars down there wear inflatable vests to wade below 6th St dam. Probably not needed in real low water conditions, but highly recommended in high water, or winter, or spring. Dam, not damn.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have not fished there since last fall. I heard that they have built a temporary rock berm just upstream of the highway bridge downstream of the dam in order get heavy equipment to the center of the river to work on the bridge. Can anyone confirm this? If it is true how has it changed the flow? Can you still wade across the center from the west side to fish the wall and quarry holes or is the current too strong? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have not fished there since last fall. I heard that they have built a temporary rock berm just upstream of the highway bridge downstream of the dam in order get heavy equipment to the center of the river to work on the bridge. Can anyone confirm this? If it is true how has it changed the flow? Can you still wade across the center from the west side to fish the wall and quarry holes or is the current too strong? Thanks for any info.
I was down there 2-3 weeks ago and I can confirm they do have a temporary berm right at the first highway overpass and goes roughly half-ish way across the river. I should have taken a picture of it, it was kind of cool to see.

However in terms of flow above the berm, I didn't notice any difference at all. It was low because the whole river is low due to no rain. But all the runs felt the same above that berm and was definitely wadeable across the river toward the wall. I did not fish below it at all that day so I'm not sure what the flow looks like below that berm. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would just like to suggest, as others have, to use a wading stick to feel in front of you and provide extra support when walking through faster runs or uncertain areas. If you're uncertain about an area please be smart and maybe error on the side of caution. Also maybe wear a life jacket under your clothing? or on top of your clothing but under your waders?

I only say this because I saw a guy this past Monday, up by the dam wading deeper and closer to his chest. He then lost his balance or got pushed by some water and fell into the swirling current right below the dam. I was on the other side of a fast run so I could not do anything for him (lest I try and we both find ourselves in a world of trouble). I was getting my phone out to call 911 when luckily he was able to swim back to a point where he could stand. But a lot of the currents are swirling and very strong there. Not to mention that once your waders fill up they're like a 300 pound kite that will ride the current and hold you under. I am thankful I did not have to watch something tragic happen that day and have a renewed respect for the river and for water in general. But please be careful everyone, no mater how familiar or unfamiliar you are with a spot or river.

Sorry, I could have created a new thread but given the title of this one I though it would fit best here. Stay dry everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
its pretty scary watchin people bob around in those eddys,esp with increased flows.i mean:yikes: .but yeah,wading staff has saved me from getting wet so many times out there.lot of times just backing out of a spot so its not coming over the top.lots of times coming out beat and tripping over big rocks(which are buried now) near shore.it was fun to walk up to the hole and bury the shaft tho

Reactions: itchn2fish

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
always liked a long (wader height at least,carve one if you've got wood:bonk:)leaf rake type handle for maneuvering,poking people too close and jabbin at undesirables,tules,asian carps,snowflakes,lil boats too close ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts