Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everybody's opinion is on single hooks vs. trebles for salmon/steelhead spinners.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just wondering what everybody's opinion is on single hooks vs. trebles for salmon/steelhead spinners.
Don't use spinners much except for creek trout... Have tried them with some success for steel and kings and never messed with switching out the trebles. There are a lot of guys that like to tinker with gear so someone else may know better...;-)

·
Registered
18,933 Posts
I prefer trebles and used to make up lots of Mepps style spinners but prefer single hooks for stream fishing.
Too many unwanted donations to logs,rocks,ect. with trebles.
While trebles are debatable due to the misuse of them during runs of fish..they seem to balance french style spinners much better.
Legal size constraints limit size of spinners with trebles if a golden mean proportion is balanced leaving small spinners the result on trout streams.
Inlines like walleye trolling spinners are much better for single hooks.
A tube of red or chartreuse or your choice of color, well worth cutting to fit shank of trebles.
If you work small spinners well by all means balance them within legal parameters for best performance and experiment with some legal gap single hooks too and go fishing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What I like about singles, is once the fish is hooked up they stay hooked up much better with them. And less chance of snagging

·
Registered
13 Posts
Percentage wise, I have lost fewer fish on a single hook spinner. One hook sinks in deeper than 2 or 3 hooks. IMO, for river fishing, spinners are far more productive fished slow or drifting near the bottom or occasional ticking the bottom. The single hook spinners get snagged up far less often.
I make my own spinners, and I wouldn't even consider a treble hook. As far as the balance comment... I do tie on "attractants" to the single hook. It helps give it a little resistance in the water, which seems to help balance it out. But there's more to it than just that. You have to have the right weight to blade size ratio. If you remove the treble hook for a single hook, the spinner may not spin the same. The spinner was most likely designed and balanced with the treble hook. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I build my #4 spinners with a size 6 treble. That's typically one size smaller than what they are usually built with. This helps prevent snagging up. Use Gami trebles, they are sticky sharp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts