Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.. thought I would give singing bridge a shot for some ice fishing!!! But.. things didnt turn out so well... I walked out to the ice mounds and tested the ice on the other side of them and had some nice solid stuff so I ventured out spudding every 15 or so feet to check thickness. After setting up some gear I cranked out a hole and felt something weird after going through.. it kind of stuck and I had to pull back up. I started to clean the hole and wouldnt ya know it... lots of ice under the ice. I dont see how it was happening but it was.. everywhere I put a hole there was a ton of chunk ice under the existing ice.. so yea that idea is pretty much shot for the winter. Unless by some miracle it just disapears! I was thinking to myself as Im cleaning out the hole man this is taking forever... cause it just kept filling with slush and ice chunks!

Sideshow

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sideshow,

the slush is caused by the wind and wave motion. when that would happen on sturgeon bay we would bring out a coffee can with holes , attached to a long stick or pole and wella a long ice scooper.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha... Im not talking about slush.. Im talking about huge sheets of ice under the already formed ice! There were baseball size chunks of ice coming up the hole I drilled. It kinda freaked me out.. but it seemed to be very solid ice on top.

Sideshow

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you didn't, you might wanna give it a try. The few times I've been out on the bay and fished a double-slab, I've cleaned up on the perch. Don't know why they were there or if it works on big fish, but it's worth a shot IMO.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Sideshow,

My family has a place about a mile north of the bridge. The locals warned me that the ice is extreamly dangerous and unstable in that area. The bottom contours make for some strange currents. There are several small shoals about a 1/4 mile out and a lot of times that is where those mounds will form in the winter. It's only a foot deep or less at those shoals and then drops of sharply to 10 - 15 feet on the lakeward side. In the six years I've been going up there I've NEVER seen anyone out on the ice. Could be a reason for that since I'm sure the singing bridge would be a popular spot to fish in winter if it was safe. Just so you know what you're getting into....I've been tempted several times to go out and try fishing in 4 to 5 fow in front of the cabin for browns but now I'm afraid to try it.

ih

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
I think the ice chunks that you were describing are coming from the river. If you watch the ice chunks that float down river they end up going under the lake ice. I bet all those chunks end up stacking up under the lake ice as the current carries them out. If you get really brave go a little north of the river and it might clear out. In the summer the current ends up going towards the south and I bet that is where a majority of those chunks will be. Good Luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Drove through singing bridge area on Sunday, and saw a lot of open water along the shore everywhere we looked between Augres, and Tawas. North of Tawas to Oscoda the shore ice looked like it had been whipped up by a hurricane. Stopped by Van Etten for a look see, and there was quite a few guys fishing both sides of the lake, don't know if anything was being caught.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts