Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Simcoe on Thursday and fishing with Randys on Friday and Saturday. Anybody else going? Also what's up with the Simco Web site? We are staying at the Georgian Inn.

· Registered
194 Posts
Big Daddy, we are going the weekend after you. Go to fishinglakesimcoe.com, it will give you an index list. Scroll halfway down to where the header has the word "OLD" on it and click on it and you will get to the site. Let us know how you do. We will be fishing the Snake Island area.

· Registered
538 Posts
Big Daddy,

10 of us are heading there Thursday night. Coming home on Sunday. Virginia beach area.
Staying at the Eaglewood resort between Sutton and Pefferlaw.

Trying to find out the reg's on bring and using quads and snowmobiles. Are you guy's taking machines?? Ever been there before?? First time for us.

Any tips??

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second time for us going. We go the easy way, take a hut service. We did very well last year using Randy's Hut's. Be sure to try all different baits. We did best on wigglers! Good luck. In the evening we will be hanging at at Lake Simcoe Arms. Good food and drinks!!:D

· Registered
391 Posts
Was there last week Lots of snow on the ice and a bit slushy in cooks bay near roaches point. If you had the option I would bring the sled instead of the quad, they seemed to be getting around better.

Fishing was good, fish were deep 40-50fow. Hali spoons and minnows with a tear drop about a foot above.

Post on how you guys do I will probably be going back.

· Registered
538 Posts
Doogster,

We're going out of Virginia beach between Sutton and Pefferlaw. Any tips or tactics would be great. We don't have electronics so we'll have to do it the old fashion way and guess or follow the crowds. I do have an cheap portable depth finder I could use to find the depth, I was debating on taking it or not.

I've heard spoons with beads work good. I've also heard small pimples with a teardrop above it works good. I was going to try a micro jigging rapala with a bead and a dry fly just above it. I really don't know.

I'll take all the insight your willing to share.

I do appreciate your reply. I was a little worried about what we can and can't do over there.

Thanks again for your time and your help.

· Registered
194 Posts
Steve, we haven't fish Virginia Beach in 4 or 5 years. We fish Roches Pt, Snake Island area as we feel the fish have averaged much bigger over there. Friends went SB weekend to Virginia and fished Sibbald point. They limited but average fish was around 9 inches. Not bad, but there is better fishing over there.

We use demons, either the green or orange. It's a weighted teardrop glow in the dark. We either put a waxie or wiggler on and have had great luck with that setup. Have also used Jack's hooks, little rapals and pimples, with about the same luck.

The key is too find the lightest rod/reel combo you can find. It's much easier to fewel the bites and a blast reeling in the fish with the rod bent in half. We are deeper than you will be - 30 -35 ft. You'll be in 10 - 15 or so. If you want directions on where we park at Roches, let me know.

As said before, we have been checked by MNR, but there only concern was the amount of fish we had, not the drinking or registration or ins for our machines.

Buddy's had a hell of a time with the snow and slush on there quads. if you have 2 wd quad, don't bother with bringin it. You will still get stuck off the beaten trail with 4wd's. Sleds are a much better option this year.

If you are going over in the evening, there is a great spot we stop at every year in Kitchener!!! We always stay too long and it makes the first day fishing much harder! Good luck, ask away if you need any more help.

· Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think we have enough info and gear to be dangerous!! With any luck we'll catch plenty of fish.

We are heading over Thursday night. I'm sure there will be a few self-induced causalities come Friday morning.

Might even try to find that place BIG DADDY mentioned.

Thanks again, If I come up with anything else I'll ask.

Fish on!!

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Take an assortment of hooks with you. We have had our best luck on wigglers most of the times we have went. Jack spoons, small pimples, teardrops, and small raps have all workes well for us. If you don't have any already pick up some berkley power craws in watermellon, and the regular brown ones. When the perch are hitting hot and heavy it is easier to not use bait. Don't forget some small tube jigs also. Had one trip last year that would have been a total bust without the tube jigs.

Joe

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve we will be at Lake Simcoe Arms on all 3 nights. Just look for the best looking :eek: 6"1' 250 male in the joint. I will have my camo m-s.com hat on.

· Banned
1,819 Posts
Young steve You are heading in the right direction for the best perch action. I just got back about an hour ago. You don't need bait , use spoons. I have never baited a hook while ice fishing at Simcoe. I got a kick out of all the guy's using minnows ,and wigglers, proud as hell that the had twenty fish , when then at 9:00 am in the morning I dump out my bucket of 50 hogs . Simcoe is great this year. Cooks bay is ok , but contrary to what the other guy said, you will get alot more hogs out of Georgina, or Couchiching. No BS. Btw keep an eye out on www.nflca.com, On the perch Standings. My fishing buddy Ray caught the latgest yesterday 15" even. that should land him in first in the Simcoe derby. I had a couple 14's , and many 13's but just couldn't get ahold of a monster this trip.

· Registered
538 Posts
Chuck1,
Thanks for the info. We'll try our darndest to pick up some fish. We have hard beads, soft beads, blades and other things. With 10 of going I'm sure someone will find out what they like. I'll let you know if anyone tops 15". I hope its me. Then I'll have to give DZ tax. a call and take him up on his offer.

I sure hope we pick the right spot the first time. Because with the 38 mile an hour winds predicted for tomorrow I don't think we'll be moving around much.

BIG DADDY, Hopefully we'll make it to the Arms one of the nights. We're bringing most of our own food but may head out for cocktails one night. Maybe we'll see you there. I'll be the ugly guy with 9 other ugly guys.
Are you bringing two way radio's? We'll have em'. Not sure what channel we'll us. I'll try to stay on 9.

Good Luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.