Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the first voyage to the lake this weekend and it was a rough one. Got in an accident on 94 after an hour and a half delay on 94. St. Clair county didn't get the memo that it was a wee bit icy out there. After a 2 hour delay in Port Huron to get a new tire we finally were on our way. Horrible start to the trip to say the least.

I thought if we at least get to Simcoe the great perch fishing will make up for the mess. Not so much. Fishing was slow as heck according to what others around us said. We fished near Beaverton out of Floyd Hayles. We actually slept on the ice which was nice, but the fish weren't around in great numbers. We were hoping the outfit would move us to find fish, but that wasn't part of the deal. Lesson learned. In about 16 hours of fiahing, our shanty of 3 guys kept 70 or so fish. We were there for a bachelor party so a lot of those fish went to our in ice fish fry. In the end 24 really nice fish came home with Nittanydoug and I.

It was fun but my expectations were much higher fishing wise. Any other recommended places for next year? I'm not against Floyd's again, but I feel its very limited in that area of the lake. One worker there told us that earlier in the year is better. I want to really experience simcoe perch fishing where there's more action.

Here are a couple pics

Van damage

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
437 Posts
You can do it yourself on early ice in cooks bay without snow causing problems. You can also check out SimcoeFishingAdventures. Rick ran a good outfit 5 years ago, not sure about now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
You can do it yourself on early ice in cooks bay without snow causing problems. You can also check out SimcoeFishingAdventures. Rick ran a good outfit 5 years ago, not sure about now.
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah thats what i did...started out with ricky and got the lay of the land...at least he will move his huts to find fish.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Randy Stolec, West Side Guide Service. best guide on Lake. Been written up in Midwest Outdoors and Michigan Sportsman Magazine. Fishes everyday moves as needed. He knows where fish are and will put you there. Does not have huts so it is bring your own. He doesn't want to be tied to a place because of huts. Try him next time. It will be worth it. His number is on the Ontario and Lake Simcoe Fishing Board site.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
That's always been my bigggest fear of using a hut operater...

Everytime I fish over there they are never where I think they will be and I have to hunt for em... Last trip they were killing em off Virgina beach... Till we got there.

@ least you set the bar pretty low for the next trip! Sorry to hear about the run of bad luck.... It happens to all of us... Its the price ya pay for getting off the couch and playing the game!

Thanks for the report...I've got the itch bad!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Staying on the ice was the neat part about the trip, but it requires brining too much stuff. It's basically camping on the ice. The bathroom situation was not ideal either. Basically wooden out houses with a bucket in them.

The party and fun part of the trip was outstanding. When the fish came through it was fun as heck. The majority of our fish were on about 2 or 3 flurries, and then we'd pick away at a few here and there. I was worried about not being able to move around, but that's the way it goes. I want to go back someday, but it'll be on a day when it's not freezing rain, and perhaps with a place that'll help you find the fish.

Still, I know it's fishing and that's just the way it goes. It could have been MUCH worse with the accident. 2 semis got tangled up a half mile behind us when they hit the St. Clair County line and one of the drivers was really hurt bad. I then heard about some kids that were killed in an accident Friday and that made me really sad. It also puts little problems like a busted tailight, a few dents, and less fish into perspective. We had fun, we are all safe, and we won't soon forget it.

Thanks for the ideas on other outfitters and stuff. I'm going to look into something like that for the future.

Later,

MDH

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The rack was gone. It had two coolers on it. The white one survived with minimal damage. There was a green one that did make the trip but I don't know if it's good for many more. We lost a couple of dozen eggs from the green one. The rack took a ton of the impact.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Any guide services or huts out that way? Thanks for the head's up!
We went through Jim Granger 519-586-7510. It was $40 an adult with transportation onto the ice and minnows. We are definately going back next year. Bring BIG spoons. Williams Wablers in silver.

Ken

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Thats the only bad thing about using an operator.. U r only limited to an area that is in walking distance....next time you go, get outside the hut and drill some holes, you will triple your catch drilling fresh holes.....It use to work for me when i didnt have a Quad........Going this weekend,and have some great #s to at least get me started......

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our original plan included bringing the power auger, but we just didn't have room for it. Now our hut operators had some hand augers in the shacks for us, but it absolutely poured from the moment we got there on Friday until Saturday night when it changed over to snow. I think that advice is good though! Just wish we would have been more able to jump around. Maybe next time.

MDH

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Our original plan included bringing the power auger, but we just didn't have room for it. Now our hut operators had some hand augers in the shacks for us, but it absolutely poured from the moment we got there on Friday until Saturday night when it changed over to snow. I think that advice is good though! Just wish we would have been more able to jump around. Maybe next time.

MDH
Yep, you live and learn up there. We used Steves Huts out of Holmes point road Pefferlaw area. It was always just OK.....we would get our fish always, but its the Quality of fish i go to Simcoe for. I went from getting a Half 7 gal. bucket of fish, to a full bucket on the same Quantity. That fishery is LOADED with Monster Perch, you just have to find them. I leave area's catching nice fish in anyones book, to find bigger fish. Sometime it hurts me, but when i find what im looking for, success is so much sweeter!!!;) This year is my 20th season up there, been going ever since i got out of College. We use to go 3 or 4 times a season, but money is tight and the Kids are getting older and i have other obligations to go that much anymore. Now I just charish the time i do get on Simcoe, cause i can only do it on a Limited basis.......If I can give you any advise, and you can only go once a year, go in the spring. Ice is always good through at least March, and sometimes early April. The fish start moving from the depths to the shallows for easy pickings......Enjoy Simcoe, its a wonderful fishery........Peace

P.S. Explore Mitchells Bay, you can find fishing over there just as good or better sometimes, and its only 67 miles from Royal Oak!!!!!

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Looks like you will have good weather for your trip.....predicting some snow and colder temps now instead of the rain.

I'm trying to put a trip together for next M-W...Might need a rider or 2 if anyone wants to go... Shoot me a PM

Ill know more after I get to work later and see who wants to go... Still in the planning stages.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.