Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Simcoe! Just wondering if any other MS members will be there next weekend? Met a few members last year up there and we were able to help eachother out a little bit.
Been hearing some good reports outta cooks bay, might try there friday.
We are staying in pefferlaw. If anyone is close, we can meet up and share info!
Goodluck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how you do. We are headed up on the 20th. We will be staying in Georgina at Pearch Palace and fishing Snake Island area. Then another trip in Feb

·
Registered
444 Posts
We'll be there that weekend. Six of us from Michigan and two from New York. We've got a cabin reserved on the river in Pefferlaw. I'm really looking forward to it!

The guy we're renting the cabin from said they've been doing pretty well there. I hope it continues.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wish I could join ya.. Well be headed up the last weekend in Jan.. Good luck.

·
Team Yukon
4,859 Posts
First time in 15 or so years that we're not going to Simcoe for MLK weekend. My crew decided that we needed a change of scenery and are heading to Rice Lake instead...;) If we fill all our limits with gills we may still swing by Simcoe on Sunday. We'll be at Simcoe in Feb/March/April..;)

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Ill be making the 1st trip up that weekend (MLK). Found em by snake last year in the deep water that weekend.

From reading the reports on the simcoe board it looks like the lake is starting to set up pretty good... @ least on the S end..

Guys were reporting 4" of ice by the whitefish grounds...and just slush out towards thorah so follow the tracks till ya know for sure how thick of ice ur on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
656 Posts
Can anyone tell me the names of some of the local services where they take you out on argos and you actually stay on the ice in the shanties? I did that about 10 years ago over a weekend and had a blast. They bring you the bait, etc and you bring your own gear, sleeping bags, etc. I just can't remember the name of the place. Does anyone have some good recommendations? I'd appreciate it.

JS

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ginweed, we are also staying on the pefferlaw river, on holmes pt rd, in the peninsula resort house, feel free to stop in and chat.
Salmonslammer, your more than welcome to stop in also. I still have your phone # stored from the trip last year! Didn't get phone reception up there tho!lol
Maybe we should just meet @ the peferelaw bar @ 9pm friday night?
Jackstar, google peninsula resort, they run shanties out there! There are hut operators @ almost every access-jackson pt, sibald pt, the town of Barrie, you shouldn't have any issue finding a hut to fish out of!
Goodluck everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
444 Posts
Slabstar, our cabin is right off Holmes Pt. Road. The place is on Moorings Rd. on one of the canals.

How close is this Pefferlaw Bar? We were talking about a bar night one night. Too far to walk I assume?

·
Registered
59 Posts
We stayed at Inn on the lake last year did pretty well just out in the bay. But my buddies did better over by snake that's why we decided to go there this year

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Let me know how the PP is mustang... I'm thinking about staying there in feb... But I have my 10yo daughter with me and wasn't sure if that would be a good... Um.. environment for her. Met Chris a few times on the ice and he seems decent enough.

Looks like the ice will be decent... Reports said 8-10"on the South side. There is a trail (just off shore) now running from cooks bay to jacksons pt over to VB and on to beaverton... Guess its still sketchy N of pefferlaw... Had some sleds take a dip this weekend.

Slabstar... Hit me up before ya head over and we'll make plans to met up for a barley pop!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
264 Posts
We had a group of 7 guys at a place that rents huts in Port Bolster. We fished two and a half days last week and ended up with about 400. Threw at least double that back due to size but the action was pretty constant. Had a flury of Cisco on the last morning that were fun to catch and release. We were in 20-23' of water. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, could've been better fishing!
Fished peferlaw bay all day friday, only ended up with 20 between 10-13"! Caught a TON of fish in the 7-9" range.
Saturday, woke up to whiteout conditions! Again, fished peferlaw bay 'till it cleared up mid afternoon. Made a run up to mcrae shoal, pretty slow there. Made a desperation run out to whites shoal and picked up some numbers and size but found them too late in the day! The 9" of fresh snow made travel difficult on the quad! Ended saturday with 30 fish, all 9.5-13"!
Sunday morning was -3 @ 7am! Brrr! Fished peferlaw bay again, ended up with a dozen 10-13"! Called it a day at 11am and drove home!
Never made it over to snake island or cooks bay, wanted to try that spot, heard good things.
Ice everywhere I traveled was 10-16"!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
444 Posts
We struggled too. We fished out of Steve's Huts on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we were about 3 miles out in 32' of water. One hut did well but the other hut about 100 yds away was super slow. We ended up with about 10-15 keepers each. Lots of dinks though. We also landed two herring (which were put back) and lost one whitefish at the hole. Sunday they moved us to the huts that are only about a mile out and about 18' of water. We had better quality of fish but it was still pretty slow. Ended up with about 10 keepers each. I saw the biggest perch I have ever seen about 4 feet down. It had to be 16". He made a run at my minnow but missed twice and left. We joked he was too old and couldn't see the bait.

Fishing was tough but we sure had a good time both on and off the ice.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Thanks for the reports guys...

I'm a Dumb***...... It wasn't MLK day that we are going over... Its presidents day... Feb 18-21 is when we will make our 1st trip over.

If I don't get a wild hair before then!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 17 of 17 Posts