Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I made some patterns last night. We made 1 feeding, 1 resting, 1 laying down with it's head up "normal" and 1 thats standing with it's head streached up. Going to make about 3 doz. The 2 questions I have is 1. How many of each to make? 2. What to use for stakes/anchors? Going to use wood. Not sure what it's called. It goes on top of the sub floor before you put tile on it. Was going to use coroplast. My son and a friend want to make them in shop class in school. So they have to be made out of wood. The wood is really thin and light. Comes in 4'x8' sheets. Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Make very few with their heads up. Geese put their heads up when they land, when they take off, and when they're nervous about something. Two of those three are nothing you want your fake flock to act out.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've always called it "hardboard" it will
Work but that stuff is heavy! I made some years ago out of 1/4" plywood which is considerably lighter than Masonite or hardboard. Just make sure if you use that stuff that you seal the edges with plenty of paint. Otherwise it will absorb water and start to come apart quickly.
Stake should be made of steel but if you've got to use wood use oak only. Nothing else will hold up. Then you'll have to make a hole punch to help with inserting them into hard or frozen ground.

Good luck it's a nice project for your son!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The board is thin and light. Looks like plywood. Just called home depot for the name. Said it is Luan or underlayment. I agree that Masonite is heavy Smoke.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Luan is crap. The veneer is thin and will tear like crazy, leaving rough edges. As mentioned, it is not "x" rated for exterior use and if not sealed it will delaminate.

For the amount of time you'll be spending do yourself a favor and get 1/4" exterior grade plywood.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My son said his shop teacher told him he could make the sihouetts in class. He told him he should use coraplast instead of wood. He also told him he was making 6 doz instead of 3 doz. Making 3 doz for the shop teacher.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Shop teachers are so cool.lol call around to you local sign shops and see what you can get a price of 4'x8' 4mn coroplast for. Also be sure to post about what u used for stakes and how it all worked out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How detailed do silhouettes have to be? Ive had buddies that swear by the most expensive life like decs and I've had buddies who paint rough goose representations on cut out plywood. Does the HD-like detail really make that big of a difference or are home-made just as effective.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Personally with silos.. I think they are just a good way to add numbers to the spread.. I've heard/ read a black silo with a white cheek patch is very effective. Silos by themselves will attract the birds but getting them to finish May be a challenge.. Now mix 6 doz silos in with 6 doz full bodies and shells and u've got a pretty good spread that will fit in a pick up

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Again, Todd Farm refuge geese last week. Again, only silhouettes - 4 dozen outlaws and 10-15 dozen home mades. Again, shooting geese feet down in the spread often with a 20 gauge and 2 steel.

The guys in the next zone had at least six dozen fully flocked full bodies and the geese flew around them to work us.

Muskegon Wastewater late season split geese. Only silhouettes. We landed a single and a flock of 12, with the 12 being 10 yards behind the blinds when the wind went down for a minute.

Funny how lots of people have opinions on stuff the've used a little bit. I've hunted exclusively with silhouettes for 25 years. I love pulling up next to the two - three trailer guys in my 2 door hatch back and then throwing out three times they spread they have in about 20 minutes while they're bagging / unbagging decoys or twisting heads on shells.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The only problem I have with silo's is late season. Frozen groubd, deep snow, and high winds make using silos a lil tricky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So what would your next best option be? Im just starting to get my own stuff for field hunting, Ive got a few shells, a few silhouettes, and a few full bodies that have been passed down to me. As a college kid I'm not rolling in the dough so what would your suggestion be for cost effective yet bird effective decoys?

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Black and white home made colorplast silhouettes. You can put them upwind of your spread and put the "better" decoys on the down wind side. And the black really seems to pop on tilled ground over brown / gray decoys.

I have a bias:

1. I don't have a truck, or a trailer.
2. I hunt managed units where big spreads are a plus
3. At the time I made mine I had limited storage
4. I used to have fields that were walk in only. I can walk in 120 decoys no problem in one trip.
5. I like shooting stuff over "my" decoys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input everyone. I will let you know how it goes. I read somewhere to use welding rods for stakes. Said to have a few extra to use to make holes for decoys. Can't hit the decoys when the ground when frozen.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I use a small mortar mixing box that I fill about a third full with a 1:1:1 by volume mix of boiled linseed oil, paint thinner, oil based spar varnish.I put two coats on the silhouette blanks and let them dry, then I painted them with Parkers or Rustoleum alkyd oil paints using some Real Geese as painting guides. I have made over 120 goose silhouettes out of luan, as well as 89 sandhill crane decoys. These are over ten years old now. None have delaminated, despite repeated rain hunts and the cranes being under water for two days in a decoy trailer during the Minot, ND flooding two years ago. Two were broken by hunters walking into them in the dark. Seven have been shot and repaired.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Again, Todd Farm refuge geese last week. Again, only silhouettes - 4 dozen outlaws and 10-15 dozen home mades. Again, shooting geese feet down in the spread often with a 20 gauge and 2 steel.

The guys in the next zone had at least six dozen fully flocked full bodies and the geese flew around them to work us.

Muskegon Wastewater late season split geese. Only silhouettes. We landed a single and a flock of 12, with the 12 being 10 yards behind the blinds when the wind went down for a minute.

Funny how lots of people have opinions on stuff the've used a little bit. I've hunted exclusively with silhouettes for 25 years. I love pulling up next to the two - three trailer guys in my 2 door hatch back and then throwing out three times they spread they have in about 20 minutes while they're bagging / unbagging decoys or twisting heads on shells.
Amen to that!

When I started making silhouettes everyone shoved them to the edge of the decoy spread. When the birds worked preferentially to them, they still got maligned. I have 8 dozen bigfoots and another dozen Avian X axps. I still use my silhouettes on nearly all of my hunts, exclusively on walk-in hunts where the farmer says no trucks in the field. I can get all them in two field sleds.

IF you can find them, the old green Final Approach silhouette satchels are heads and shoulders better then the ones Avery sells. They hold three dozen birds and don't deteriorate. Wish I could find two to three more.

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Seen birds walk. And I've seen the birds in the refuge I drive past, the birds I'll be hunting in 1/2 hour after driving past them. Even when actively feeding I would bet 1:12 or fewer have their heads up.

I have no high head sentries in my latest batch of silhouettes. Some tucked heads and some low lookers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts