Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase some new electronics for the boat. I perch fish and troll for walleye. I've never had side imaging before. My question for you all is: Is it worth the extra expense for my type of fishing or should I just stick with a standard 2D sonar with CHIRP?

The other question I have is regarding Humminbird Helix units. Are they limited to 2 views at a time or is there a way to set them up to view 3 or 4 screens at a time. Navigation, sonar, and side imaging all at the same time for example.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
The Helix's have multiviews, and I'd get the side scan, it would be great for looking for perch.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
The Helix's have multiviews, and I'd get the side scan, it would be great for looking for perch.
Have you ever seen perch or other fish on the screen? I have SI and too hard to read or I'm doing something wrong... For the extra money and the issues like roostertails from the transducer I'm sorry I ever bought the thing!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Great image Sureshot!
I am just figuring out the SI but I can see Crappies in trees and larger fish (walleye, pike, etc) suspended or out away from the boat.
I use it to keep an eye on weed line and structure below the surface as I work along casting.
It takes some getting used to but so far I love it.
Good luck, FF

·
Super Moderator
35,286 Posts
Great image Sureshot!
I am just figuring out the SI but I can see Crappies in trees and larger fish (walleye, pike, etc) suspended or out away from the boat.
I use it to keep an eye on weed line and structure below the surface as I work along casting.
It takes some getting used to but so far I love it.
Good luck, FF
Structure and sturgeon get most of my attention with SI but this image was white bass

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh, I forgot.
I have Helix 9 I didn't think it was worth the extra money for going up to the Helix 10.
I think the Helix 9 is huge. I can read the front Helix 9 from the tiller my 18ft Alaskan.
I had a small monochrome screen before.
Good luck, FF

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Structure and sturgeon get most of my attention with SI but this image was white bass
Fishing for structure? Does that mean you got snagged? And white bass aren't perch!
Ha ha! For you other guys we always go at it about SI, I hate it and sureshot likes it...
And I still think I wasted my money! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Oh, I forgot.
I have Helix 9 I didn't think it was worth the extra money for going up to the Helix 10.
I think the Helix 9 is huge. I can read the front Helix 9 from the tiller my 18ft Alaskan.
I had a small monochrome screen before.
Good luck, FF
I bought the H10 and is my main graph for the helm, extra screen is helpful as I usually run a split screen sonar and navigation... sometimes even Side Imaging! LOL But seriously the nav screen is most important to me and sonar is a close second... I love my Helix but started to launch my Garmin Livescope this fall, it's cool but won't replace my Helix anytime soon!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
There’s a massive walleye school I found during the peak of the spawn. There were a lot of boats fishing the area, but they were just off to the side of where the fish were and nobody was catching. I made one pass with the boat to mark where the fish were, and got a quick limit after that.

A167E4E3-9759-4B77-95B6-C2BCF0075CCE.jpeg

Side imaging was set to 180 feet each side. You need a bigger screen to be able to use side imagine further out so you can actually see what you are looking at. If you aren’t getting side imaging, the bigger screens are a waste of money unless you have bad eyes and need the bigger screen just to read a map or 2D sonar. Touch screen is awesome for dropping a bunch of waypoints on top of the fish you find on side imaging. I put down way more waypoints when you just tap the screen twice vs. using the D-pad to move the cursor over the fish.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm loving the discussion although you guys haven't made my decision any easier. Let's keep it going.

·
Super Moderator
35,286 Posts
Sureshot.....being a bit picky.....but the SI marks are under the boat. In that case the SI isn't helping any in my opinion.
Look left and look at the light marks on the right. Its a steep drop right there so its harder to pick things out. Lots of strong returns. If I had adjusted settings I could bring them out more.

I've got a photo of eyes stacked up on SI as well. Just found this one right away.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Milan had mentioned perch. Walleye and Northerns are much easier to see. I haven't picked out smaller fish on side imaging. It is possible, but I would imagine you are looking at a 12-15" unit with Mega Side Imaging +......which is $2500-3500.

The fish below I can't tell if it is a walleye or a northern for sure. But based on its size, it was either swimming with me, or was 45" plus.

Big Fish SI.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There’s a massive walleye school I found during the peak of the spawn. There were a lot of boats fishing the area, but they were just off to the side of where the fish were and nobody was catching. I made one pass with the boat to mark where the fish were, and got a quick limit after that.

View attachment 623191

Side imaging was set to 180 feet each side. You need a bigger screen to be able to use side imagine further out so you can actually see what you are looking at. If you aren’t getting side imaging, the bigger screens are a waste of money unless you have bad eyes and need the bigger screen just to read a map or 2D sonar. Touch screen is awesome for dropping a bunch of waypoints on top of the fish you find on side imaging. I put down way more waypoints when you just tap the screen twice vs. using the D-pad to move the cursor over the fish.
I think the maps on the 10" + screens are valuable. On smaller screens, you are constantly zooming in and out. So in that case, the ideal setup would be (1) 12-15" screen with Sonar/Mapping split out. Or you would need to get (2) 8-10" screens with one for Sonar and one for mapping.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

View attachment 623191

By the way.....that SI screenshot is the best I have seen!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
By the way.....that SI screenshot is the best I have seen!
That's using a Lowrance SS3D transducer. I don't get the detail on 100 foot or less ranges that you get on the transducers from Humminbird or Garmin that can run in the MHz range, but further out its still the best option on the market from what I can gather. It only runs at 455 kHz.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts