Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this little guy look healthy to you?
He looks like he may have some problems going on.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Well he sure is thin. Being he is in what looks like a bean field he maybe sick. I know some consider it a waste of a tag. But when I see a deer like this I usually try to take them out of the population then have the deer tested for any disease.

It looks like he has some type of growth on his belly area by his right hip. Which maybe some type of injury. Which means he could be in pain and not moving much.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I'm guessing he could be 102 in deer years, but disease is a possibility.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Looks CWD! Better hurry up and shoot that thing and get it sent in. All we need is one more deer with CWD to shut down baiting forever!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
i dont consider it a waste of a tag to shoot a deer that looks like this. if it was me and i seen him i would take the shot. Then i would have him tested.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
In all seriousness, kill it and get it tested ASAP! There is a legit concern that a few rogue deer farms may be turning "sick looking" animals loose as a way to avoid potential liability, especially if they have shoddy paperwork that is difficult to connect the dots with potential illegal deer sales from out west.

We're talking about helping out with possible criminal cases now.

Kill it, turn it in and see if it has a possible tear in it's ear from a possible deer farm ear tag that may have been removed and illegally released.

I'll call MDNR tomorrow to make sure we can get a "refund" new tag for anyone who kills a deer because they suspect sickness, to turn in for testing, when they otherwise wouldn't kill that deer.
I think that program already exists, but if it yet doesn't, it will.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Being he is in what looks like a bean field he maybe sick.
What does being in a bean field have to do with being sick ? :confused::confused:
See deer in bean fields all the time and that does not make them sick as well or does it ?
If so, I have a whole lot of deer very ill near me.

I shot a 9-point a few years ago that had a broken jaw and he looked in the same condition.

For herd safety, put this animal down and get it tested.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I think it is hard to say if this deer is sick... To me it looks as though he could be squatting to take a piss and the camera caught him half closing his eyes.. If he is squatting he is going to look skinnier.. Notice the back two legs are together or coming together in line with each other and on an angle back? I think before you go shooting a 1 1/2 old deer because of alot of assumptions you should wait until you see this deer and make the determination then..

Just my opinion..

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
What does being in a bean field have to do with being sick ? :confused::confused:
QUOTE]

I think Big is referring to its size in relation to the crop it is standing in.

If you do nothing else, take that picture to a DNR field office ASAP and let them make the decision, they have experts that can decide if it is a concern or not. Do not take the threat of CWD lightly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
looks sick to me. hope its not by kent county. i think the dnr will give you a new tag if you turn in a deer that they find to have tb or cwd. i would shoot it but i would think twice about fielddressing that one on my property. i would load it up with rubber gloves and take it in.

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
I think before you go shooting a 1 1/2 old deer because of alot of assumptions you should wait until you see this deer and make the determination then..

Just my opinion..
How can you shoot it if you don't see it :lol:

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
Before everyone gets on the CWD kick, there is TB in this state also, as well as car/deer injuries, old hunting injuries, etc.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
By the offset of his rack I'd say the guy has a injury either car or a wound from last season in his upper thigh/hip area. Pretty amazing what injuries these animals can live with.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I'll call MDNR tomorrow to make sure we can get a "refund" new tag for anyone who kills a deer because they suspect sickness, to turn in for testing, when they otherwise wouldn't kill that deer.
I think that program already exists, but if it yet doesn't, it will.
You can call to see if things have changed but in the past the answer would be no, you can't get a refund for your tag. One would be better off to report it and see if permission can be obtained to put it down and let the DNR pick it up without using a tag or have a CO come out and put it down. Also in the past with deer in that type of condition it has been a priority for someone (DNR) to come out and put the deer down for testing. Again, going on what things were prior to 2006.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I think it's just a young buck taking a piss! Not enough solid evidence from this one pic to say that it's a sick deer that needs to be taken out of the herd. Hopefully you can get a good look at him in person that offers a better judgement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My $0.02 would be possible car/accident injury or he is squating to urinate. If you see him come under your stand you will have a better idea.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think Big is referring to its size in relation to the crop it is standing in.

If you do nothing else, take that picture to a DNR field office ASAP and let them make the decision, they have experts that can decide if it is a concern or not. Do not take the threat of CWD lightly.
I took it as him meaning that with all that food (beans) that deer should be a lot fatter than he is. But like someone else said...maybe he just doesn't like beans.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Maybe, he's on one of those "Jenny Craig" diets...:lol::lol::lol:

The date on the pic looks like 7/10/2009...If so, the heat may have a lot to do with his weight as it does in other animals that time of year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts