Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of shrooms are these, i have a marsh area that i mtb through i the shrooms a popping up evrywhere there any help would be apreciated for this noob

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought they looked like Amanita muscaria

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
russla yes! i found a bunch, sounds like nonedible, also found some other kinds sorta new to this , i find it interesting, i found a huge! hen of the woods there too !

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
russula yes! i found a bunch, sounds like nonedible, also found some other kinds sorta new to this , i find it interesting, i found a huge! hen of the woods there too !
I've never met anyone that eats russula's, although some are edible
but some are poisonus.
I stick with the easier choice edibles that are out there.
It's a fun hobby and there is always something new to learn.

You mean last year on the hen of the woods right?

They should be showing up at the end of the month
and thru september and are one of my favorites.
Better than morels imo!

mike

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I've never met anyone that eats russula's, although some are edible
but some are poisonus.
I stick with the easier choice edibles that are out there.
It's a fun hobby and there is always something new to learn.

Better than morels imo!

mike
Hens are AWESOME!!! Here's my list of favorites. If in a mushroom gravy boletes are hard to beat, then I'd have to go with Hens, morels, then chanterelles. I finally ate my first chicken of the woods a couple weeks ago too. They are pretty good, but not my favorite. I kind of like the richer tasting shrooms. If I see a chicken I'm still picking it though:D. I haven't been out shrooming in a few weeks because it's been so dry. I hear we might be getting rain tomorrow though. I'm thinking Sunday may be worth a stroll.:)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
what kind of shrooms are these, i have a marsh area that i mtb through i the shrooms a popping up evrywhere there any help would be apreciated for this noob

On the underside of the shroom did it have gills or spongy looking "Pores"? That's almost always the VERY first thing I look at in a shroom I pick.:)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I actually found 6 of those with my wife a few weeks ago. The ones I found were the yellow, version with the white warts on it. They are cool looking. Also, that one's not an Amanita Muscaria. Whatever this one is has a pretty red to it though.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,632 Posts
Well it's good to see some pictures and posts. This forum has slowed a lot. I really enjoy the photos and posts of our wild fungi. I think with the next precip event I will get out and have a looksee if not here in a little bit. But its been dry. Have not done any shroomin since May other than my back yard, LOL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen those too I always wondered the same thing. If they are Amanita muscaria I wouldn't recommend eating even a small portion because they cause damage to the central nervous system. :dizzy:

If you aren't 100% sure don't eat a mushroom, and don't try to get high on those things because of what I said earlier.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I've seen those too I always wondered the same thing. If they are Amanita muscaria I wouldn't recommend eating even a small portion because they cause damage to the central nervous system. :dizzy:

If you aren't 100% sure don't eat a mushroom, and don't try to get high on those things because of what I said earlier.
Yes, Amanita Muscaria's are poisonous and oddly the yellow version just makes you sick and probably won't even get you high. (The yellow is the common North American version.) Even if you were to eat the other there's a sickness for a little while after the high and to much can be a lethal as in deadly dose. Definitely not worth eating. That one mushroom stated above is most definitely NOT an Amanita Muscaria though. I can't tell what it is. However at that size and young of a stage it would probably be completely white if it was. The white warts on the Muscaria are actually the protective veil that covers the shroom when it's young and as it grows the covering stretches and rips leaving a bunch of "Jigsaw pieces". ALso, another common characteristic of Amanita mushrooms is the little skirt looking thing on the stem between the cap and the base. There's no sign of that. Also, amanita's have a swollen bulbous base. I most defintely agree with you though. I wouldn't eat it if I didn't know for sure what it was and if it was ANY kind of Amanita I wouldn't even try it. There are technically some Amanita's that aren't poisonous, but there are so many of them that are DEADLY I wouldn't even try one. I think almost all Amanita's are poisonous actually. One example would be the Destroying Angel. Pretty white one I see all of the time. Eat one and you're dead in less that a week without a liver transplant. Also, I just typed this to inform some people. That's my only reason.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Well it's good to see some pictures and posts. This forum has slowed a lot. I really enjoy the photos and posts of our wild fungi. I think with the next precip event I will get out and have a looksee if not here in a little bit. But its been dry. Have not done any shroomin since May other than my back yard, LOL!
I'm still going to head out. I just haven't in a while with the lack of rain and I do have alot of shrooms for now. If they had any rain in the UP I'll look this weekend up there. (My grandpa and I are going camping up there.) I'm DEFINITELY looking in Sept after a rain though.....HENS.........HENS........HENS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,632 Posts
Boy we need rain, noticable rain that is. I went out Sunday for a walk and 2 dried up unidentified fungi were all I saw. Cleared away some blow-down stuff from the base of a couple hen producing trees so I wouldn't have to deal with that when they come on. Glad I did.
Had a lot of blown over trees and snapped limbs around here this year, It may pay to go check your trees and make sure there are no such surprises when shroomin next month.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Amanita Muscaria is what the vikings would consume before their berserker rampages. They contain Ibotenic Acid which in large enough dose produces what one would call a "god complex". They are currently being sold in low doses as a natural alternative to the muscle relaxer Soma.

Dont eat it. heh

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I actually found 9 Amanita Muscaria up north in the UP camping with my Grandpa last weekend. 2 were the yellow variety and oddly the other 7 were the red ones. I obviously didn't keep them for consumption, but I did take a couple back for a pic to share on here.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts

Better than morels imo!

mike

better than morels?????????????????
what do they look like and where can i find some

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Better than morels?????????????????
what do they look like and where can i find some

Hi WS
I find them mostly at the base of large live oak trees
and sometimes oak stumps.
I've heard some folks have found them near old maples and
beech too.
Great tasting and very versatile in many recipes but just lightly brushed
with olive oil on the grill is my favorite with a touch of garlic and onions
and simple put on top of a nice burger.
Can't wait until my first "Henburger" of the year!

Here's a little info on them....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitake
http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/octfd.htm

Now if we ever do get rain here again!....

mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts