Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, experienced fisherman, inexperienced in using shrimp for skams. I plan on keeping things simple and dangling a piece of shrimp under a float and trying for some skams. I'm not even that familiar with shrimp basics. Can you explain sizes of shrimp..when at the store I see cocktail shrimp, then it appears as they're counted as to how many pieces per pound. What is your preferred size?
Best varieties, there seems to be several here. Cooked...raw...tail on...tail off..shell on...shell off??
Just let me know the basics on what you guys like to use and thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Official 2021 Shrimp Power Rankings:

1. meijer brand (orange tint = more fish)
1.5 meijer Tray with sauce
2. Family fare.
3. Aldi
4. Walmart

50-60 count is my preferred size. I’ve caught shrimp on massive ones and also on little salad shrimp. Always opt for COOKED never raw. I keep the tail on mine, I know some people that catch a lot of fish and take it off. Size 2 or 4 gammy octopus hook seems to be the standard. They swallow it if you run an anchored bobber most of the time so take them home with you, especially if the water is above 65.

130 Posts
Like the title says, experienced fisherman, inexperienced in using shrimp for skams. I plan on keeping things simple and dangling a piece of shrimp under a float and trying for some skams. I'm not even that familiar with shrimp basics. Can you explain sizes of shrimp..when at the store I see cocktail shrimp, then it appears as they're counted as to how many pieces per pound. What is your preferred size?
Best varieties, there seems to be several here. Cooked...raw...tail on...tail off..shell on...shell off??
For skams, I’m usually using a size 2 hook with a small cooked shrimp with tail on. In general I think the bit of red only helps out. Use a variety of bait and see what they want. Throw two shrimps and a wild card bait. Most days shrimp is always good, others it’s worms or alewives. I bought some coon shrimp as well to see how they perform.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I like the tray with sauce.
One shrimp for the Skams and 2 shrimps for me and so on and so on, I'm sure you get the idea. Kinda like Santa Clause and the magic dust for the reindeers. Little more for Santy Clause, and little more for Santy Clause.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Eons ago; we started with raw, and caught fish. We sometimes used bright trout nuggets to add color. I literally tied orange hackle to my hooks. Don’t get me started on cures and dyes. In the end cooked solves a lot of problems. All that other effort? Wasted.

I went a little crazy after a trip with some Meijer Raw Patagonia’s last year; catching a limit, while two standard shrimp provided nothing but something to tangle with. Next trip the reverse was true. Don’t make it hard.
If you have alewife around, in warm water, cutbait tends to out fish shrimp. But not below 60 or so.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Eons ago; we started with raw, and caught fish. We sometimes used bright trout nuggets to add color. I literally tied orange hackle to my hooks. Don’t get me started on cures and dyes. In the end cooked solves a lot of problems. All that other effort? Wasted.

I went a little crazy after a trip with some Meijer Raw Patagonia’s last year; catching a limit, while two standard shrimp provided nothing but something to tangle with. Next trip the reverse was true. Don’t make it hard.
If you have alewife around, in warm water, cutbait tends to out fish shrimp. But not below 60 or so.
Ok, part two....
Ales - Cut or live? Cut: Head or body cuts? Live: big or small? Dangled or bottom?

I've never considered suspending cutbait, but I do know that suspending live ales will catch some big ones...seagulls, that is.

Thanks, good info here!

·
Super Moderator
20,549 Posts
I like the tray with sauce.
One shrimp for the Skams and 2 shrimps for me and so on and so on, I'm sure you get the idea. Kinda like Santa Clause and the magic dust for the reindeers. Little more for Santy Clause, and little more for Santy Clause.
No, no, no.. he's not a musician! You telling me!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rules of thumb; (which is not scientific, but rather an old guy who is semi observant).

1) I don’t bother fishing live ales above 65, for skams (I will for salmon in august-sept if I can get them).

2) suspended bait catches fewer sheep and cats than bottom bait in virtually all situations.

3) cut bait starts to equate with shrimp above 60. Even frozen ales.

4) small live ales under a bobber are an excellent choice below 65.

5) big live ales are hardly worth the hassle under a bobber unless you want to fish “Bobs Rig”, and even then it’s hard to get a good hook set.

6) green slime is spoiling what used to great opportunities for bottom fishing live ales of all sizes with increasing frequency every year, and yet I keep going back to fish them because of tradition and dreams.

7) cut is at least equal to skein or shrimp for adult coho

8) don’t make cut bait hard, cut the fillets off the side, pitch the remains to the gulls.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Don't be afraid to experiment with cut bait. Sometimes different parts of ales will out perform others.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I almost always use Meijer brand shrimp, but one year I bought some brand name shrimp from a local market and I swear they were better.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That's interesting, I'll have to try it. One of these days I'm going to remember to bring out my pink and orange fishbites and see if they draw any attention.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don’t overthink shrimp as bait; when the skams are feeding it almost doesn’t matter the size. I prefer cook shrimp, Meijer brand as it’s cheap. I also prefer a medium size. My experience is somewhat different from others that have posted. I typically do not fair well using shrimp until the surface temperature is 58 or higher. I do much better on the bottom using alewives when the water is in the low to mid 50s.

I typically like to fish at least 1 bobber close to the pier wall. In 2012, the water was low but had a nice stain to it. I had a bobber about 4’ from the edge. All of a sudden the bobber went flying through the air. The skam jumped, hit its head on the wall, ran a few feet, jumped again hitting its head. It was about a 16# male that I never got to fight. By the time I got to the rod the fish was unconscious and floating belly up.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I bought some Shrimp Gel made by Atlas Mike’s last year. Haven’t tried it yet.

And plum forgot already how to rig a shrimp bobber anyway. Still a week to go before any time available to actually fish.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I think your getting the general picture from all the replies, but to sum it up, everyone has their own way of doing things for a reason. They all work.... I think we can all agree that these are some of the easiest salmonids to catch, they're pretty stupid fish. From fishing them in the rivers and in the lake, bait doesn't seem to matter, they really do bite it all. With shrimp the big consensus is the cooked shrimp, ( supposedly due to the brighter orange color), I don't know if I buy that as I've seen plenty of limits taken from raw and even week old rotting shrimp, but that explanation sure does sound nice lol.

Cooked shrimp is easy and accessible, just get that. Also makes casting easier not worrying about flinging off the bait. I don't like to mess with alewife that much in summer. Hooking the occasional cat or drum is just a waste of time imo and is a risk to tangle lines that I would've preferred be fishing. I've done good with shrimp from low 50's all the way up to 70, even brought spawn sacs out one day and caught fish on that. Just trying to stress don't overthink it, watch the temps, tie on a Michigan Rig, get some cooked shrimp, and hit a limit on those dime bright chromers.... they're dumb fish, no reason to get fancy for um.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey you skam guys, are you catching kitties out there or not yet? I’m targeting them with set lines while casting and coming up skunked. Thanks!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts