Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
As Buck Perry, Don Dickson, and John Bales would say, "Great You have the perfect Spoonpluggers Boat"
Now go catch some fish!

Hal

Reactions: TK81

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Wow, came in from Japan in just two days. Avail shallow spool for the Cardinal I will have later this week, along with some beefier bail springs. Gotta set it up right for trout, no reason to have 200yd worth of 4lb mono. This one holds about half, and has a beveled lip to boot in order to facilitate longer casts.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I haven't received it yet, but I was the lucky sole bidder on a really nice Zebco Cardinal 3 and got it for a nice price. My plan is to add an Avail shallow spool, reinforced bail springs, carbon drag, and a silicon carbide line roller so it'll be set up properly for braid.
I obtained two Cardinal 4’s off FleaBay as well as a recent Penn 710. I’m not into the modification circuit, but I do enjoy cleaning and lubing old reels. Oh, I forgot the Abu Mag 2; I love those 80’s “in between” Abus!

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I obtained two Cardinal 4’s off FleaBay as well as a recent Penn 710. I’m not into the modification circuit, but I do enjoy cleaning and lubing old reels. Oh, I forgot the Abu Mag 2; I love those 80’s “in between” Abus!
It's a shame we don't have many aftermarket reel parts on our side of the world, save for bearings. In Japan, the manufacturers such as Abu, Daiwa, and Shimano all make parts to make their more popular reels better suited to different purposes. Then there are a lot of aftermarket companies that do as well. It's way different over there for sure. My wife and I are planning a trip there to see some of her relatives in the future, you can bet your ass I'm taking a pocket full of money with me lol

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Wow, came in from Japan in just two days. Avail shallow spool for the Cardinal I will have later this week, along with some beefier bail springs. Gotta set it up right for trout, no reason to have 200yd worth of 4lb mono. This one holds about half, and has a beveled lip to boot in order to facilitate longer casts.

View attachment 770191
Interesting these mods your making, I kind of sidelined my 3’s and 4’s as I have transitioned to braid?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Interesting these mods your making, I kind of sidelined my 3’s and 4’s as I have transitioned to braid?

I really like these old Cardinals, they're stout machines and very well built. While I own some buttery smooth and refined newer stuff, something about these old workhorses makes me smile. They're a lot of fun to use in spite of their shortcomings compared with the new stuff.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I really like these old Cardinals, they're stout machines and very well built. While I own some buttery smooth and refined newer stuff, something about these old workhorses makes me smile. They're a lot of fun to use in spite of their shortcomings compared with the new stuff.
No doubt, I was late in the game going to braid and it seems I have more trouble with tangling and knotting with my Cardinal’s than my Presidents. Especially seems to want to wind around the spool button a lot.

I bought my first Cardinals in 1980 and have many, many hours on them. Have picked up a few more through the years mostly on EBay, did find a couple at flea markets as well, always on the lookout for them.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
No doubt, I was late in the game going to braid and it seems I have more trouble with tangling and knotting with my Cardinal’s than my Presidents. Especially seems to want to wind around the spool button a lot.

I bought my first Cardinals in 1980 and have many, many hours on them. Have picked up a few more through the years mostly on EBay, did find a couple at flea markets as well, always on the lookout for them.

If you ever wanted a worthy replacement for the Cardinal, my favorite is the Daiwa SS Tournament. Like the Cardinal, they have a worm drive and multi-disc drag and way overbuilt. They have been in continuous production for about 35 years now, and still run the same price now as they did then at $100-ish. The spool on them is long and shallow and tapered 5 degrees for longer casts. They're a little hard to get, even pre-pandemic because the tackle shops tend to order few and they sell out fast. Even used reels sell for prices very close or even more than a new reel in many instances due to the popularity. She might be ugly but man can she cook!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If you ever wanted a worthy replacement for the Cardinal, my favorite is the Daiwa SS Tournament. Like the Cardinal, they have a worm drive and multi-disc drag and way overbuilt. They have been in continuous production for about 35 years now, and still run the same price now as they did then at $100-ish. The spool on them is long and shallow and tapered 5 degrees for longer casts. They're a little hard to get, even pre-pandemic because the tackle shops tend to order few and they sell out fast. Even used reels sell for prices very close or even more than a new reel in many instances due to the popularity. She might be ugly but man can she cook!

View attachment 770305 View attachment 770306
I own 5 of the Diawa SS tour reels they are my all time favorite spinning reels. I believe 3 are the 700 series and 2 1300's they have always been very reliable reels with a reel smooth drag. I know the 700 series is a small reel but i have landed some big cats while walleye fishing using that little reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
My trout spool came in for my Daiwa Alphas CT, this sucker is light!

For comparison purposes, my other spool is good in it's own right. The purple spool is way better for short casts, best for fishing the wood and spinach on the trout streams. One isn't better than the other, each one is better suited to a different kind of fishing.

I'll load her up with about 50yd of Daiwa J-Braid and it'll be a pitching machine.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts