Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
As a Died in wool troller and the lakes in my SW Mich local being for the most part pissy ass clear water bodies of water with weed lines out as far as 20 fow. Line length on the troll has to be very exact. Reeling in fouled lures can be a real pain. I have switch my 5 trolling rods with various strengths of braided line, sometimes out 140 ft, over to Daiwa's electric assisted reels. Oh what a relief that has been. As the HOF baseball announcer Red Barber said "Sitting in the catbird seat" Fishing now is absolute joy. No more 'Troller wrist" or " Spoonplugger shoulder" Pricey sure! but so are big motors and electronic equipment. I will never go back to hand cranking weeds and/ or fish in.
The 5 reels are loaded with 1 reel 10lb braid, 2 reels with 20 lb braid 1 Reel with 80lb braid and for really deep presentations 1reel 20lb monel stainless wire

The Leobritz 500SJ I use with 20 LB braid , 80 LB Braid and 20 LB Monel Stainless Steel wire

The little white reel is the Leobritz 150 loaded with 10 lb Braid

Since I started using this equipment I think of them as fish catching machines.

Hal

Reactions: Airoh and John Hine

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a Died in wool troller and the lakes in my SW Mich local being for the most part pissy ass clear water bodies of water with weed lines out as far as 20 fow. Line length on the troll has to be very exact. Reeling in fouled lures can be a real pain. I have switch my 5 trolling rods with various strengths of braided line, sometimes out 140 ft, over to Daiwa's electric assisted reels. Oh what a relief that has been. As the HOF baseball announcer Red Barber said "Sitting in the catbird seat" Fishing now is absolute joy. No more 'Troller wrist" or " Spoonplugger shoulder" Pricey sure! but so are big motors and electronic equipment. I will never go back to hand cranking weeds and/ or fish in.
The 5 reels are loaded with 1 reel 10lb braid, 2 reels with 20 lb braid 1 Reel with 80lb braid and for really deep presentations 1reel 20lb monel stainless wire

The Leobritz 500SJ I use with 20 LB braid , 80 LB Braid and 20 LB Monel Stainless Steel wire

View attachment 769603

The little white reel is the Leobritz 150 loaded with 10 lb Braid
View attachment 769604

Since I started using this equipment I think of them as fish catching machines.

Hal
I wasn’t expecting to see something as eclectic as that, but all the power to you. There are many methods out there for catching fish. At the end of the day, if it adds to your enjoyment of fishing, that’s all that matters.

Now let’s see if anyone can top this one.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I haven't received it yet, but I was the lucky sole bidder on a really nice Zebco Cardinal 3 and got it for a nice price. My plan is to add an Avail shallow spool, reinforced bail springs, carbon drag, and a silicon carbide line roller so it'll be set up properly for braid.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
View attachment 769429

Found a deal I couldn’t pass up on a pair of these. Lever drags are cool.

Let’s see what y’all got. Rods, reels, lures, tools, pretty much everything this sub forum is for.
Lever Drags Yes they are cool! My 1 st experience with Lever Drags was just off Biscayne Bay Sail fishing 2/27/20.
Easy to operate and very efficient. We were Kite trolling cigar minnows and other live bait The process is fairly labor intensive keep the baits in water rolling thru the swells. Lever Drag system is the only way that Kite trolling would be possible. I think You will really like the Lever drag especially for the trolling you do.
Running six lines with 3 off of each Kite line Great experience for sure.

Hal.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lever Drags Yes they are cool! My 1 st experience with Lever Drags was just off Biscayne Bay Sail fishing 2/27/20.
Easy to operate and very efficient. We were Kite trolling cigar minnows and other live bait The process is fairly labor intensive keep the baits in water rolling thru the swells. Lever Drag system is the only way that Kite trolling would be possible. I think You will really like the Lever drag especially for the trolling you do.
Running six lines with 3 off of each Kite line Great experience for sure.

Hal.
No trolling planned for these guys. I'm filling out my sturgeon spread.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
They wanted $60, I got it for $19. It will be another spare.

Reactions: TK81

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Tailgate protector? What’s that. Thought you bought a truck.
LOL Yeah it's a truck. I use them accordingly but all the trucks I have ever owned get a heavy rubber bed mat and a tailgate cover. I'll own this truck a very long while. May be the last one I ever buy?? Common sense protection for me. YMMV

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
View attachment 770071 Just picked this up. Not sure how long we'll keep it bc my wife wants a pontoon. No leaks, nice floor and engine is like brand new
Awesome! Cant wait for the reports!
Love the name too, fitting.

Tell her resale value is way down on used boats, it would be more economic to just own 2 boats, "his and hers boats"...1 boat is just a boat, but 2 boats is a fleet!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts