Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few friends and I hit the St. Clair river for the first time last weekend and found the struggle bus. We only had a few fish Friday evening and Saturday morning.
Sitting around the rental on the North channel for lunch contemplating our next move... I started reading reports and one solid contributor stood out.
Piketrollers reports were key to getting us on the eyes and making a memorable weekend for us!
So from the crew,
Thanks for all you do Piketroller!

·
Registered
404 Posts
A few friends and I hit the St. Clair river for the first time last weekend and found the struggle bus. We only had a few fish Friday evening and Saturday morning.
Sitting around the rental on the North channel for lunch contemplating our next move... I started reading reports and one solid contributor stood out.
Piketrollers reports were key to getting us on the eyes and making a memorable weekend for us!
So from the crew,
Thanks for all you do Piketroller!
Yes, Piketroller contributes a lot to this forum. I got a lot of great information from him and a few others on here as well on where to fish, how to do it & what lures to use. I really do not want to mention the others names because I know I will forget to mention one or two of them and I don't want to offend any of them, but they know who they are as they sometimes even send me a PM with the info needed to help me catch fish & have a good time on the lake.
Some guys put out a great report with a lot of information in it so they can help others out, and that's what this forum is all about in my opinion, while others want to just show pictures of their limit catches but won't give any helpful info other than what lake they caught the fish in. I don't expect any info on particular spots or the location of anybody's "honey holes", but info like if they were trolling or casting, minnows or worms, crank baits or harnesses, depth of water, etc. would be a great help to others, & believe me, myself and others really appreciate good info like this. Thanks to all of you that have helped me out with my fishing!!!

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
From watching the other boats out there and talking to others, I think the 3 biggest mistakes people make are:

1) Going too fast - unless there's a strong wind against the current, you can catch fish just straight drifting, but usually a little faster seems to work better. But if you are flying down the the river and passing all the other boats catching and you aren't getting anything, SLOW DOWN. If you are using the trolling motor, it's controlled or augmented drifting, not trolling.

2) Not changing blade colors often enough - keep changing until you get bit. The hot color yesterday might not be what they want today. It can even change in the middle of a trip if the sky conditions change.

3) Cutting off drifts too soon - people that treat pulling harnesses like jigging and go right back up to hit a 50 yard stretch repeatedly after one bite are probably missing a lot of fish downstream. It takes longer to get your harnesses down there and the boat at the right speed than it does when you are jigging. That one fish that bit could have been following your spinner for 50 yards and the rest of the school stayed behind. Do longer drifts with harnesses. If you are getting fish in 40-45 feet, keep going until it gets too deep or too shallow that you can't stay on that pattern. The places where you get doubles or triples, that's where you want to go back through again. But one fish here and one there, you'll waste your fishing time driving the boat.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I appreciate the input from all on the forum. Even the “brag threads” serve as motivation to get me out on the water. But there are a dozen or so guys on here that go above and beyond to help folks out. PT and others have helped me out countless times over the years and they are all very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes, piketroller has provided a lot of great information, and some entertaining posts as well. Posts like his are good part of the reason I keep coming here.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Some post make me scratch my head and think about my IQ THEY'RE only walleye.........

PT does include some useful info :)
Don’t count yourself short AJ. You are near the top of the list for guys that have helped me out on this forum. Still hoping to get the chance to drown some worms with you one of these days.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Don’t count yourself short AJ. You are near the top of the list for guys that have helped me out on this forum. Still hoping to get the chance to drown some worms with you one of these days.

You’ll have a good time dynrat if you get him out there for sure

·
Registered
13,361 Posts

Anytime Ryan :) lost phone and some contacts, shoot me your # I know river a "little" it'll slow here soon enough.. I'll be perching with Doug :)
Too spoiled for walleye when slow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts