Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just shot a big 6 and he ran away with arrow in him. Quartering to me, fairly certain it was front shoulder but possibly hit back shoulder I don't know. Haven't checked for blood what are my odds with that shot. I may have heard him bed

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Just shot a big 6 and he ran away with arrow in him. Quartering to me, fairly certain it was front shoulder but possibly hit back shoulder I don't know. Haven't checked for blood what are my odds with that shot. I may have heard him bed

The longer you wait the better your odds! good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Stay in the stand as long as you can then climb down and look for blood... I would give him as much time as you can tho...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So stupid!!!!! I rushed. May have hit high enough to gone over front shoulder and hit back? I don't know

·
Registered
335 Posts
Depending on what head you are using hitting the front shoulder could go either way. An expandable, prolly just wounded him, a good cut on contact fixed blade and you might have made it through the shoulder into the opposite one. Either way you need to get out there and look for evidence of a good hit really hard a few hours after the shot. If it doesn't look good back out and give it more time and call a taking dog.

I have to add that you probably wouldn't be in this predicament if you didn't take such a low percentage shot. Next time wait for a broadside or slightly quartering away shot, for the deers sake and yours...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
Think about contacting a tracking hound handler. Good luck with finding him.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes Rob Miller i seen just tracked a buck last night hit in shoulder arrow only went in 4", he didnt think it would die, the dog found it 150yds away no blood trail either.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys I never thought it was a good shot, I made a complete mistake and I feel awful I will never do it again. But right now it's time to try and get this thing, I don't post on MS to get lectured. Basic bow hunting knowledge is that's a BAD shot

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You may want to check the area of the shot for blood, and see if there is a blood trail. A tracking dog is going to cost you some money, and may not even find it if the arrow didn't penetrate the shoulder. JMO Either way I would give him lots of time before you actually start tracking.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
H,

Go home and get something to eat and replay the shot as much as possible. Head back out after 3 or 4 hours and check for blood trail.
Call dog as last resort.

Pay no attention to the "Pro-Hunters" on this site as they have never made a mistake like us common folk...

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I would at least get down and scan the "point of impact" area, while everything is still very fresh in your mind. You'll have a much better idea as to what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
H,

Go home and get something to eat and replay the shot as much as possible. Head back out after 3 or 4 hours and check for blood trail.
Call dog as last resort.

Pay no attention to the "Pro-Hunters" on this site as they have never made a mistake like us common folk...

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Amen to that Swampy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts