Votes: 43 33.1%
  • No, shining should remain legal except for November

Votes: 87 66.9%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should shining deer out of a vehicle be illegal? Would it cut down on poaching of larger bucks?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I dont think shining is the problem and the poachers will still do it even if its illegal. So making it illegal will not solve anything.

Some years when Im not seeing any deer its a way to stay motivated becouse you see deer. As long as its done legaly I dont see any thing wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Shining is a legitimate form of family quality time for some folks. It is also a great way to see what bucks are out and about.

Poachers are gonna poach anyway so, why penalize law abiding citizens?

The biggest buck I have ever seen in my life was spotted less than 1/4 mile from my house with a spotlight. I watched it so long...I burned the light up but...had I not been shining, I would have never known that such a monster existed. To my knowledge, nobody ever did get him or else everybody would have heard about it...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah, poachers will poach anyways even if it is illegal. It's not like theyre doing it on a busy road, so they probably would never be caught anyways. I did it once and it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I too think shining is a ton of fun and very exciting to see the big bucks. Shining is illegal here in michigan I believe during firearm season. But it isn't nor should it be illegal during the entire autumn season.

Great way to see the big bucks roaming.

If you haven't tried it, you definitely should.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yes , shinning should be legal year round.We can't let a couple of bad apples screw it up for everybody. If that's the case there is bad apples in every crowd

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I don't believe it has anything to do with poaching, plenty of that goes on during daylight. I am tired of all the cars parking along the road in front of my house and shining the fields were they have NO chance of hunting. It is private all around me and nobody has access but the landowners. If people can't hunt around here, why even bother the deer. My house is hit with spotlights all the time and I think it needs to stop.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It's much easier to nail them if only the outlaws are shining. Shining should end Sept 1 IMO. There is nothing I hate more than people shining my fields and bumping the deer out for the night to screw up my morning hunt. If you do shine please shine your own property.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Howitzer said:
It's much easier to nail them if only the outlaws are shining.

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
lwingwatcher said:
Shining is a legitimate form of family quality time for some folks. It is also a great way to see what bucks are out and about.

Poachers are gonna poach anyway so, why penalize law abiding citizens?
I agree.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
I think you would find that most people who live in the country would like to see shining banned. I doubt if the subdivison people want me driving around shining a 2millon candle power light in their back yards or windows setting off their dogs ect.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
plugger said:
I think you would find that most people who live in the country would like to see shining banned.
I live in the country. I also shine. I don't tresspass to shine nor do I shine lights in peoples yards or on their houses (unless it is somebody I know).

Folks that think shining messes up deer hunting or are so friggin self centered that they don't want others to see their deer are.....well....I will leave it alone.

But, I do get mighty testy about hearing shots in the middle of the night....unfortunately, there just isn't enough LE to handle even the real poachers...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm with you wingwatcher,I shine and people shine my property, and as far as I'm concerned it should be legal in Nov. also.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah, I dont see how shining around ~8pm would affect the morning hunt at all. That's like saying hunting in the evening will screw up your morning hunt.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Should shining deer out of a vehicle be illegal? Would it cut down on poaching of larger bucks?
Bob: You have two different questions here. On the poll, you only ask about shinning. Your text asks about shinning from a vehicle. Also, you might ask about shinning on private vs. public land.

I almost posted a thread earlier concerning shinning and knew it would really get some folks riled up. But before I make a statement, let me say that I live on a dead end road and folks can't shine on my place unless they go via airplane or on foot. Therefore, shinning does not bother me personally.

However, I am totally against shinning anytime during the year on private land. Why on earth should anyone be able to shine on private property? It is private, not public. It's not that the land owner has something to hide nor is he trying to "protect his deer." It's just that it is his land and he pays the taxes. He very well might have some equipment left in a field and the shinners can pick it out. What might come up missing now? :rant:

It is a peeve of mine about shinning and trespassing. I've said for years that someday I will find an address of a trespasser and wait until he is gone from home. Then I am going to set up a picnic table in his yard and have myself a picnic. :yikes: Ya, I'd probably get arrested. Folks would think it was terrible that anyone should do that. Well, the country landowner just happens to own a larger yard than city folk do. :)

Ok, it is the same with shinning. I'd bet that if I went into town and started shinning my 2 million candlepower light into driveways and lawns, that I'd soon be paid a visit from the local police....and rightly so. Then if I can't or shouldn't do this in town, why should others do it in the country? :confused:

I have no problem if folks want to shine on public land, but leave the private land private. Do not shine.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the shining laws in that are enforced in the state are legit, the buck(144 gross) in my gallery was shined in late september by a friend in a field about a mile from where i shot it, just shows how much deer travel at night

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I voted to keep it the way it is. If I followed the logic of outlawing an activity because of a few criminals, then none of us would be able to do anything.

Dan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts