Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Unless you want to mark your body

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the thoughts guys and ideas. I have a very good life jacket that I wear ALL THE TIME. Going to take a Pee can and take my whistle. My motor doesn't have a tether shut off--it is a push button..not going to tie a rope to myself while moving under power...

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Great! But think about the rope ladder

They don't hold you straight under the transom or side of the boat. They will want to swing you underneath.
I tried one that's what happened to me. It works but not ideal.
I prefer a regular ridgid ladder especially for us older guys
Thanks Perchjerker, You know I thought about that when I started looking at them yesterday. I can see sliding under would make it pretty tough to get onboard. the problem is I'm not sure I have space to store a rigid ladder, but I've got a few months to work that out.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Lenray, you might want to check this out I found it crusing you- tube videos. While it is not cheap I think I'll be putting on my boat. It is about the only thing I've seen that will work for me because of its narrow design.

Therescuestep.net

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Lenray, you might want to check this out I found it crusing you- tube videos. While it is not cheap I think I'll be putting on my boat. It is about the only thing I've seen that will work for me because of its narrow design.

Therescuestep.net
Thanks for posting this link Nailer. This is a very good item that I never knew about. If I still had my boat I would sure have one of them.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Think about this, true story.

My father and his brother in law were fishing. Dad fell in, couldn't get back in the boat even with BIL's help! Had to hang on to the side of the boat all the way back to shore. Alcohol was a factor!

Anyone here that lived on Bankson Lake around 1980 give or take a couple years may know about this event.
My old retired partner fell out of his row boat on that same lake around 15-20 yrs ago. Said he raised off his seat to get something out of his box and when he went to sit back down, the seat wasn’t there, just the side of the boat and over he went.
He must have been 70 at the time. Could get back in the boat and nobody heard him yell. So he swam back to the launch towing and pushing his boat

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great thead here with a ton of good advice. I'm 60 buying my first boat in many years, and will do plenty of solo fishing on LSC / SCR. Boat will have an Ulterra which I mainly got because balance isnt what it was 30 years ago. Was already planning to purchase top of the line passive inflatable life vests. Just completed an online safety course last weekend and got my eyes opened wide. Posts in this thread opened even wider. I live on Anchor Bay and yesterday was looking at 2 choppers hovering stationary out over the middle - couldn't tell if ice reached that far or if they were over open water. No doubt someone who went out to have fun was in trouble of some sort. I'm looking forward to having a ton of fun, but realize this ain't no joke.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts