Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out coyote hunting when I crested a hill and found a doe removing snow so she could get some acorns. I stopped and watched her for a time and saw she had a severly broken front leg. As she hobbled off I thought to myself should I shoot her,because she was only 15 yards from me? I decided to let her hobble off. What do you think, should I dispatched her knowing it would be illegal or let her walk as her leg was just holding on by a thread? By the way after she left I started up my Foxpro Spitfire on cottontail distress and nothing came in for a while then I started another Foxpro at the same time using a jackrabbit distress and here he comes straight at me, but just before he cleared the trees 50 yards out he slammed on the brakes and started circling . I had my shotgun with t shot so I did not shoot. I think he caught my wind, I just wish I had my rifle as he offered plenty of opportunies at longer ranges. Oh well maybe next time.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I wonder what the law says. Then again we could always just let nature take its corse. When the doe does die, she will provide food for another creature.

Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know how you feel seeing a wounded deer. Unfortunately since it is out of season you cannot legally "put the deer out of its misery".

Interesting on using the different calls. I am going to mix it up this weekend. I just got my Fox Pro this week.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I wonder what the law says. Then again we could always just let nature take its corse. When the doe does die, she will provide food for another creature.

Tom
Illegal. Although it may seem cruel to let it walk, to shoot it could carry the same penalties as any other illegal deer case.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Depending where you live she may make it through the winter and survive well enough. Three legged deer are not uncommon.

Here in the UP I would say it would just be a matter of time till she was run down and eaten in the deep snow.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If she can clear this winter she will be fine. I saw a three legged deer running across a field one time in a group of others and she had no problem keeping up. Just like a 3-legged dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts