Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent $10k on food plots on some land that I bought up in Manistee, MI. The soil
is sand like and dry. I had the guy come from Imperial Whitetail that was on Mich. Out of Doors and Great Lakes Out Doors. He
planted No PLow in Sept which is supposed to
grow fast. We went up there a week after it was planted and it had all sprouted and looked good. We went back a month later in late October and it barely grew. What happened? He took soil samples and everything and seemed real knowledgeable. A freind said a frost could have come and stopped it. Is this possible or did I just get screwed? He is coming back this spring to plant Imperial Clover in stead of the no plow and I am concerned about throwing away more money.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
Brian I wouldn't give up. Instead of spending big bucks why don't you try something else say rape seed for a try. At 70 cents per pound it's worth a try and the beauty about it its pretty drought resistant. Personally I tried all that high dollar stuff and didn't have a lot of luck with it. Is your soil a sandy loam type? That's what I have and I seem to have no problem growing anything at all. Main thing is to make sure you have the soil tested to find out if your soil has everything it needs
good luck........marty

· Registered
68 Posts
We've got sandy/loam soil in Freesoil Mi. about 1/2 hour from Manistee. Can't get much to grow, but have had luck with rape and buckwheat.

Our land is on the edge of the National forest, so anything green that grows on the ground, the deer absolutely devour!

Are you sure your planting didn't grow, or are there so many deer in the area that they browsed it off faster than it could grow.

I agree with Marty, don't spend the big bucks on those Imperial seeds. We've tried them, and in the soil type that we both share, clovers are a waste of money. In fact the Soil Conservation District person suggested that we plant nothing but pine, because that was all the soil is good for - without spending a lot of time and money improving it that is.

We've been pouring lime, rye and winter wheat into it for 6, coming up on 7, years now, and still no improvement.

Spend your money on rape seed, and maybe put some of the liquid stuff on it from the Whitetail institute that makes it grow better and retain water and nutrients better (can't remember the name of the product, but your man from the Whitetail Institute will know exactly what I mean).

Good luck!

------------------
"Take a doe so HE can grow"

Todd.

· Registered
3,079 Posts
If you planted your clover in September, you planted it too late! Ladino clover (imperial clover) needs 60 days to grow before the first frost. If you planted Sep. 1 you had to be frost free up till Nov. 1. I planted clover on Sep 2 in Southern michigan and I barely pulled it off.

Your soil may be too poor for clover. You need a 6 to 7 Ph, and adequate moisture. If it is real sandy it may dry out too fast, look for a low spot to plant.

· Registered
68 Posts
We've planted anywhere from April 15 to May 31, and it makes no difference. Clover is too fussy for our area (as well as alphalfa). PH levels are important, but I think that soil moisture is more important.

We've been following recommendations to till under all the greenery in August to add humus to the soil each year, but ours is so bad, it still hasn't helped.

Good suggestion about finding a low spot. If you have any, give it a try. We aren't that lucky. All the low ground belongs to the neighbors.

We'll be putting our money into test plots of rape this year, as well as fertilizing the native vegetation.

------------------
"Take a doe so HE can grow"

Todd.

· Registered
8,125 Posts
First of all Brian, welcome to the forums. 2, like albert einstien did, he tried like 3000 times to get the lightbulb to work. People told him to give up but all he said was something like I havent failed, i've just learned something new 2999 times...so in my eye's don't give up..Keep trying...even if u are throwiny money away..Think of this, the more money you throw away, eventually iy wll pay off. :)

------------------
Stelmon, the only one.
Becareful out there..

· Registered
3,079 Posts
Brian, if your soil is to poor for clover you should try field rye. It will grow in very extreme conditions.

Work the ground, broadcast the seed, drag over it like you are planting grass. When the rain comes, it will be up in several days.

Rye is the fastest "green up" crop, I have ever planted. If you plant it in early September you will have a good green fall plot for bow season. The deer really love it. I planted oats with my Rye, to create a mixture. The only difference is the oats will die after the first frost and the rye will ripen the next summer.

The next summer when the rye is 1 1/2 foot deep you can plow it under to improve the soil. When plowed down at this height, you will be adding 300lbs per acre of dry matter to the soil. This will greatly improve the "organic matter", something that sandy soil usually lacks. Field Rye is known as "Green Manure" to Gardners.

[This message has been edited by bishs (edited 01-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bishs (edited 01-12-2001).]

· Registered
3,914 Posts
Originally posted by stelmon:
like albert einstien did, he tried like 3000 times to get the lightbulb to work. People told him to give up but all he said was something like I havent failed, i've just learned something new 2999 times...
What does Albert Einstein have to do with the light bulb?

------------------

· Registered
114 Posts
We are in the process of being threatened by lawsuits over food plots Harold Bennett installed for us. There is a very good chance that your plot was not correstly installed or that it was over browsed. Harold did not follow instructions regarding fallowing, exclusion cages and planting dates. Sept is too late to plant any of the Imperial products in Michigan. If anyone has had Harold Bennett Enterprizes plant for them please contact us. He owes us over $6,000.00 just for product he recieved and did not pay for.

· Administrator
40,933 Posts
Um, .... I think it was Edison that invented the lightbulb.

· Registered
3,914 Posts
Originally posted by Steve:
Um, .... I think it was Edison that invented the lightbulb.
It was when I went to school.

------------------

G

·
I agree with everyone on the Rape seed. We planted a sandy area around Labor Day last fall and it did extremely well. The deer just loved it too! We also added a mix of some clovers and a little oats as well. Everything came up...we'll see how the clover does this spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.