Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Should bait be legal for the Youth Hunt only ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 56 90.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 14 (no youth hunt when I was young), I took my first deer over bait and it has hooked me for life. I do not use bait now as I have become more knowledgable (I think) on their habits.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Baiting has never been allowed for the youth hunt, even when baiting was legal statewide. October 1 was the start of when all used to be able to bait.

There's no reason to EXPAND baiting and there's certainly no reason to teach our kids that bait is something to plan on in the future.

Teaching youths to hunt without bait is probably a good plan.

·
Registered
470 Posts
haha this is going to be a good one ..... this thing is goin to be a blown up by the end of the day......

My thoughts are no for two reason well one simply listed above... ur not suppose to bait for the youth hunt anyways.....2nd of all whats that going to do for a 12-14 yearold after this weekend if i had a kid id take this weekend of opportunity too hunt the way its suppose too be and if they don't get a deer this weekend they have something to work at for the next 3 months ;)......

hunting isn't called sitting and shooting for a reason i wouldnt lie to ya I promise ;)...welll maybe a lil bit but for the most part I wouldnt:lol::D:lol:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please answer honestly, have either of you ever taken a deer over bait ?

Do not want a battle of rights and wrongs, just an honest answer.

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
Baiting has never been allowed for the youth hunt, even when baiting was legal statewide. October 1 was the start of when all used to be able to bait.

There's no reason to EXPAND baiting and there's certainly no reason to teach our kids that bait is something to plan on in the future.

Teaching youths to hunt without bait is probably a good plan.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Why in the world would anyone allow that:confused:It would do nothing for the cause that brought about the baiting ban in the first place and we don't need an extention of baiting either.

·
Registered
470 Posts

honestly i have hunted over bait and not over bait and seen deer both ways.... yes i have harvested a deer over bait....and if bait was legal still id probably have a couple spots id broadcast corn around(not 80000lbs like some people) but a couple gallons but id still have alternative spots that aren't baited but the law is what the law is and as a avid sportsman i will do what i gotta do to seal the deal the lawful way.....

do i know people that still are going to bait??? yes am i going to run to the phone right not and call RAP???? not a chance... because thats not my business ... I have enough ***** in life of my own to worry about not some guy whos got a little pile of corn 200 ft of a road...if that was the only problem in my life id LOVE it :lol::lol::lol:

good luck this season fellas
ev

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts

Bob's said plenty of times that he's hunted over bait - but that wasn't your original question!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob's said plenty of times that he's hunted over bait - but that wasn't your original question!
True.

My point is, why not afford the young hunters the same opportunity we had when we were younger. I realize that we did not have the luxury of a youth season when most of us were younger but, I think it is a good way to get more kids involved in the sport.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Cedar, between farmer permits, crop permits, unlimited permits, etc over the last 30 years, I've probably killed 150 deer over bait. Somewhere in there, give or take 20 either way.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
The youth hunt is more then just an early start at shooting Deer, it's an early start into a sport that is not only enjoyable, but also teaches you so many of lifes lessons when done properly, and properly does not include bait.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
so, make an exception for one group of hunters? if the whole purpose of the baiting ban is to stop the spread of cwd then there should be no exceptions to anyone.

As someone already stated it never was legal for the youth hunt so nothing lost nothing gained

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Would you allow your child to speed in a car while on their Learner's Permit??? Let's face it.... there is a "No Baiting" law in effect for the entire Lower Penninsula right now. Yeah, I know it affects a great deal of hunters, business owners, farmers and so on. But it's the law and it's our job as veteran sportsman to teach and pass along good ethics to the younger generation.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
And so has the number youngsters interested in the sport. I don't see near as many young hunters now as I did 30 years ago.
But that has absolutely nothing to do with baiting. That has everything to do with parenting and mentoring. I dont feel allowing bait during the youth hunt will change that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts