Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If you have been following Michigan HB5180 work through the legislative process here in Michigan and have been wondering if this new technology will be accurate enough for ethical deer hunting - you need to check this out!

So we finally got out with the Air Venturi Air Bolt system for the AirForce Texan. This kit is amazingly accurate and POWERFUL! At 550 feet per second - we were slinging 375 grain air bolts into the backstop and the only way we could stop them from going through anything and everything we put in front of them was to back up a ways. When I say we backed up a bit - I mean like 150 yards. Well... while we are out this far, let's try hitting a AirGunDepot.com Long Ranger Golf Ball! NAILED IT BABY!!!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yes accurate enough to hunt but the question is which season?

·
Registered
36,295 Posts
The bill says any season where a firearm is legal. Maybe it was noted and I missed it, the 450’ rule would be in effect.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have dreaded the day ever since I first learned about these things. The nearly perfect poaching weapon they should be legal only during firearms season, for deer. The bill is as it should be, treat them like the gun they are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have dreaded the day ever since I first learned about these things. The nearly perfect poaching weapon they should be legal only during firearms season, for deer. The bill is as it should be, treat them like the gun they are.
Can you clarify how this would be any more of a weapon of choice for poachers vs. a crossbow or any other archery equipment?

·
Registered
864 Posts
It functions as a gun but there is no powder so a poacher could shoot a deer with it then exchange the air bow for a legal bow. There is no way for a CO to prove the deer was shot with an illegal weapon. This tactic is one tried many times by poachers. Fortunately there is powder residue left on the deer from the shot so it`s easy for law enforcement to detect.

Don`t misunderstand me. I am not opposed to the people being able to own and use these guns. I just see potential for abuse by some. That should never preclude the rest of us from having access.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These airbows are loud. They are much louder than a suppressed rifle. So don't be worried about the airbow, worry about suppressed weapons for poaching. So, let's face it, if poaching is going to happen there is nothing we can do about it but turn in everyone we see doing it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yeah, they'll need their own season. An maybe a special spear only season. And a slingshot season. :(

Reactions: YAKFish#1

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
With the way things are going why be worried about an "air bow"? I think I said a few years back we will soon be allowed to use the firearm described in the thirty point buck song.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If they want to make them legal for the firearms season that is fine. It is time to end crap being added to the bow season.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think I remember something about an aluminum arrow in a .410 shell with the shot taken out of it back in the 80s in the NELP for bow hunting.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I want to reduce the number of bow hunters. An air bow is essentially a firearm and should be treated as such. Michigan makes far too many concessions to bow hunters, and this should not be expanded.

Reactions: stickbow shooter

·
Registered
36,295 Posts
Airguns are no longer considered firearms.

Honestly I see no difference between airgun and xbow aside from width.
You are correct but the exception is for hunting where it is considered a firearm where all firearm rules apply. The hunting digest states pneumatics are considered firearms for hunting purposes.

A pneumatic weapon uses compressed air to propel the projectile where a longbow, recurve bow, compound bow and crossbow uses a string to propel the projectile. Big difference in MHO.

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
You are correct but the exception is for hunting where it is considered a firearm where all firearm rules apply. The hunting digest states pneumatics are considered firearms for hunting purposes.

A pneumatic weapon uses compressed air to propel the projectile where a longbow, recurve bow, compound bow and crossbow uses a string to propel the projectile. Big difference in MHO.
Air vs string as it relates to killing a deer makes no real difference. Still need no practice past sight in, no draw. I guess I just don't care if it were legal now.

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
Dam I really need to start paying attention to the titles of these threads, I thought it ment airguns as in "pellet gun" not air bow. I am in no way in favor of this contraption being aloud in bow season. My God , just man up ,grab a real bow and go hunting. If you can't well then use a xbow. We have become a society of "anything easier".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts