Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Rooster Ranch where Rocky (WPG) and I did a preserve pheasant hunt.

Nice cool misty morning and the waist-high weeds were driping wet. We had them set out four roosters for us and before we could even get to the field one got up and flew across the road where we couldn't hunt. Our first action turned out to be a double, a hen and a rooster (the hen must of been a survivor from another hunt). I got them both and we had birds in the vest.

The next rooster flushed wild to my left and I poked him with a round of 5's. Rocky marked him well, and raced over to pick him up and take off in the other direction. (We're still working on the problem). A little coaxing and a bribe resulted in us trading a dog bisket for the bird.

Working down the wooded side of our forty acres we had to hunt I heard a rooster crowing just ahead. I got Rocky right down there and had the bird pinpointed in a twenty foot square patch of weeds. Of course the bird quit crowing when we got there and I was sure the rooster was going to run thru the few trees in the fence row and fly off into the next field. Big mistake. I didn't give Rocky time to check it out very well and pushed him to go thru the trees. I was all set for the shot on the other side and the big rooster (that just shut up and didn't move) took off behind us and flew away across the field we just came from. I swear it was laughing and not cackling when it got up. :rolleyes: So, back thru the trees we go into the original field to look somemore.

The weeds were so high in that field that most of the time I could only hear Rocky's bell and see the weeds wobble once in awhile. He was tracking something in front of me and I didn't notice his bell was silent, I walked right into his backside and flushed the last bird from under his nose. I brought it down and marked the spot where it fell just left of a grassy lane. Rocky couldn't see the bird fall from the weeds and I led him near the spot and told him "dead bird" which is my command for him to look for it. We worked the area over for almost ten minutes without finding the bird. Rocky sniffed one spot for quite a while, but couldn't find the bird. I walked back to where I shot and tried to remark the spot where I thought it fell and started down the grassy lane, with Rocky out in front, to look again. All of a sudden he locks on point on the other side of the lane. I walked up behind him totally unsure what he was pointing, and when I looked over his shoulder, I only saw a small tuft of grass. Thinking there was a mouse or something hiding under it, I asked him what the heck he was doing and the crippled pheasant squirted out of the tuft of grass and Rocky grabbed it before it went two feet. "Oh, good boy" :D "I won't doubt you again", I told him.

All in all, a good morning and the first of many, I'm sure.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Man, I miss pheasant hunting over a good dog.

Good hunt, good story, trust your dog

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Yup, they know :)

I used to play tricks on Otto. I would take a rabbit, squirrel or bird and put it in his travel cage. Most of the time he wasn't in it anyway and riding shotgun. Being the terretorial animals they are, he learned to hate them. LOL
How dare that rabbit go into my cage. :D

Steve,
Sounds like a great time and only the beginning of many years of companionship. Enjoy the learning, lord knows I did and didn't trust a 6 month old pup either. If you ever go on a Monday, let me know.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, that was a good lesson for me to learn.

After running the field all morning with a water break half way through, Rocky got back to the truck and flopped down in the shade. So, after about an hours nap during the drive home I guess he'd be snoozin the rest of the day. Nope. We get home and walk out of the garage and he starts stalking a mourning dove in the backyard half way out the door. He raced around most of the afternoon like nothing ever happened. :p

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Good story, one of many to come I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Good story, thanks for inviting me along. Brought back a lot of memories.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Great Steve. Sound like fun. It brought back a day when I actually had time to work my lab and I first hunted over her. Never got much time to hunt her after that (I was in college) but man what a memory that first hunt was. This one will stick out in all the hunts you two share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts