Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

If hunting in smaller groups w/ pointers, what size shotgun and shot size do people use for pheasants and sharp-tails out in the prairies? I usually use a 20 ga 2 3/4 w/ 1 oz # 6 or #7 shot for hunting pheasants and grouse here, sometimes I get 3" #5 for pheasants also for my 20...i never really use my 12 gauge.

Will I have much longer shots out west for sharpies/pheasants or can i get by using the same stuff?

Does it even matter at all?

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Unless you are hunting heavy cattail cover, most shots are inside forty yards. Shelter belt windrows can be a little longer shooting range. Like any wild upland population pheasants will run if they can. I had three cocks run across the road in front of me and drop into a pothole edge. I just happened to look up after I had pulled over and got the dog out as I was pulling my shotgun out of the case to see them scurrying out the other side into a cut wheatfield. They had covered a 100 yards that quickly!

Most of my sharptail shots come from walking shelter belts or seeing birds jump and waiting for them to land. If they stay within a quarter mile of the truck, I try to work to them by keeping terrain between us and then cutting into the wind to let the dogs work them from a closer distance. This actualy works quite well, even on skittish birds.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I hunt North Dakota as often as I can. 20 gauge 2 3/4 6 typically. I do switch to a bismuth where non tox is required. I just don’t care for steel on going away targets. Sharp tail don’t require much to bring down but pheasants can carry a load.
Something to be aware of guns must be plugged for upland. Just something I could see being over looked by a traveling hunter
Best of luck. Hopefully I make it out there this season too

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I hunt North Dakota as often as I can. 20 gauge 2 3/4 6 typically. I do switch to a bismuth where non tox is required. I just don’t care for steel on going away targets. Sharp tail don’t require much to bring down but pheasants can carry a load.
Something to be aware of guns must be plugged for upland. Just something I could see being over looked by a traveling hunter
Best of luck. Hopefully I make it out there this season too
Good point on the plug, but just a bit of clarification. North Dakota has a 3 round maximum, but Montana does not. Just wanted to add that since the OP asked about both.

And always read the regulations for yourself, no matter what you read in the webbernet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts