Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting back into shot gun shell reloading used to do it a lot I know about matching primer wad powder ect my question is according to the book they are matching empty casings to certain loads I dont remeber ever doing that 20 yrs ago is it critical to do so now or not

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes different hulls, Can and will have different thickness's at the base, {As shown below the powder charge} which can lead to Pressure issues. Even trap and skeet hull from different manufactures will and Do vary. Stick to a hull recipe for each brand. Winchester AA hulls Are different then Remington STS and Federal is different as well. If you live around macomb county I do have lots of extra once fired hull's that are all the same, Rem or Win, But you don't have your location in your profile.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Besides the info above some hulls are straight walled like the Federal and some have a tapered wall like the AA which can make a difference with the wad application. Also, besides having different heights like mentioned above the actual base wad material composition will have different pressure characteristics, such as Federal paper and Remington Plastic, even among the plastic base wad hulls. Sometimes the books can be wrong too, for instance they say that old AAs and the new style AAs are interchangeable. They are not really in certain loads, but they can be in other loads like a basic Green Dot 1 oz wad load. Something like going with your OPs original thinking. But, if you start using something like a Rem Game load hull with a Fed wad and e3 or Red Dot where wads and hulls are stiff and powder is fast could lead to higher pressures. It is best to double check loads with different publishers. Just try to be aware. Most of the reloading material will have the different hulls in groups, then powder, primer, and wad matches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts